70. VITTORIA COLONNA CLUB

Miss Josephine C. Cereghino, President
Organized 1909
Federated 1916
Meets every second and fourth Saturdays

The Vittoria Colonna Club was organized by and for women Italian by
birth, or by parentage, or women married to Italians; continues as an
organization for more effective development and promotion of a community
of interests, social, civic, intellectual and philanthropic. The cultivation
and perpetuation, through programs of music, drama, lectures
and literature, of the Italian art is also one basic and peculiar aim.

Almost all of the sections have contributed notable quota to the terms
record of activities. The Philanthropic section, while relieved to a
great extent of the strain and stress of war-time and influenza epidemic
demands for service, resumed again its duties of sewing and distribution
of garments to the poor and needy of the Italian district. This section,
housed now in the Telegraph Hill settlement, conducts a sewing room open
to young mothers desirous of obtaining help and aid in the making of
layettes and garments. The Philanthropic section now cooperates with the
Italian Board of Relief and through the agency of a capable social
worker, the task of investigating worthy cases and distributing justly
has been reduced to a simple and business-like basis. The report of the
chairman, Mrs. M. J. Fontana, reveals remarkable devotion and
faithfulness to continued unselfish efforts in the work of this section.
To date, over nineteen thousand hours have been devoted to sewing and
knitting by the members of the Philanthropic section. The knitted
articles consisted of sweaters, socks, scarfs, helmets, destroyer socks,
amputation socks, mittens, wristlets, sleeves, collars, children's
sweaters, scarfs, stockings and women's shawls.

The section turned out six hundred and forty-six children's woolen
dresses, including suits for boys. Many layettes, consisting of
twenty-six pieces, each were made and distributed to the poor and needy.
Lunches for one hundred and twenty-five boys of the navy were provided
and served at the Civic Center by the members. A disabled Italian
soldier was furnished with a wheel chair, and a poor aged woman was the
recipient of $65 for rental of home. A scholarship at Heald's Business
College is being provided for a poor, but worthy, pupil. A monthly
contribution of $35 for the appointment and maintenance of a maternity
nurse was supplied by the members of the Philanthropic section.

Americanization, one of the most important post-war phases in our
Government's reconstruction program, in its particular relation to our
Italian immigrant, holds out to us, as American women with this foreign
affiliation, a special appeal, touching us more sympathetically and
understandingly, perhaps, than any other body of organized women.
Naturally, therefore, did we give this subject a preponderating amount
of our time and attention during the entire term.

The very aims and methods of sections such as Maternity, Interpreters,
Citizenship and Social Service, have been Americanizing in scope, and
the peculiar efficacy of the work of these sections in necessarily obvious.

The Italian Literary section has provided enjoyable and timely programs,
including an Italian translation and performance of the well known
allegory, "Three Pills in a Box," lectures on Carducci and D'Annunzio
and Italy's Intellectual Womanhood. This section, too, dedicated the
portion of an afternoon to the observance of Mother's Day. Dedicatory
verses of loving tribute in that sweet language that is still our
mothers', sanctified and hallowed the sweetest word of any
tougue-Mother.

The Child Welfare section exhibited the layettes of the Aid section at
both Child Welfare expositions at the Civic Auditorium and explained to
interested mothers the details and workmanship of these necessary articles.

Financial contributions of general interest to the Club at large may be
mentioned as follows: The purchase of $600 worth of Liberty Bonds,
contribution of $25 for relief of influenza sufferers, support for
maintenance of Vittoria Colonna Auxiliary of American Red Cross in
Fugazi Building, a donation of $25 toward Alice Frederick Memorial, $150
toward maintenance of Maternity nurse in Telegraph Hill settlement,
$5.00 toward Palace of Fine Arts Maintenance fund, $5.00 for Travelers'
Aid, $5.00 for Sarah B. Cooper Memorial fund, disposed of $16 worth of
books for benefit of Italian orphans in Italy, gave an honor banquet to
Father Semeria who came before the members of the Vittoria Colonna Club
in an appeal for aid in behalf of Italian war orphans. At this luncheon
the Reverend Father was presented with $300 for his cause; also held a
benefit for same cause at Girls' High School from which an equal amount
is expected to have been realized.

The Vittoria Colonna Club took pleasure in recognizing the return from
overseas service of two of its members, Miss L. Pechin and Miss I.
Demartini, by giving in their honor a reception and tea. The elevation
to the presidency of the San Francisco District Federation of Women's
Clubs, of the esteemed and beloved founder of the Vittoria Colonna Club
was the motif for a pleasant "surprise" in her honor.

OFFICERS 1919

Founder, Dr. Mariana Bertola
Miss Josephine Cereghino, President
Mrs. A. S. Musante, First Vice-President
Mrs. V. Lucchetti, Second Vice-President
Miss A. Storti, Secretary
Miss E. Zabaldano, Treasurer
Mrs. E. Storti, Italian Secretary

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Miss Josephine Cereghino, President
Miss Florence Musto, First Vice-President
Miss Mamie Cafferata, Second Vice-President
Miss Angela Storti, Secretary
Miss Amelia Zabaldano, Treasurer
Mrs. E. Storti, Italian Secretary


71. WINFIELD SCOTT PARENT-TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION

Mrs. William Mitchell, President
Organized 1917
Federated 1920

The Parent-Teachers' Association of the Winfield Scott School was
organized December 3, 1917, by Mrs. Thomlinson, the president at that
time of the Mothers' Congress, assisted by Mrs. Ednah Aiken and Mrs.
Edward Rainey. About twenty-five members were secured, including Miss
Thomas, principal of the school, and her teachers.

The organization grew out of a need felt by many to do some social
welfare work among the children to offset the strong military atmosphere
that existed at that time in the neighborhood of the school situated as
it was between the Presidio and the large Defenders' Club.

Although a definite plan had been decided upon it was found not to be
practical and was finally abandoned. The club, however, has continued to
have occasional meetings, but no active work has been done.

The club hopes to cooperate with the plan of the Federation to finance
outdoor recreation work from three to five among the children under the
direction of Miss Thomas, principal, and her teachers. The work was
started on May 10, 1920, and will be continued after vacation. It is
hoped that it will be possible to put it on a permanent basis if the
experiment proves to be successful.

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. William Mitchell, President
Mrs. Edward Rainey, Secretary


72. WOMEN'S AUXILIARY OF THE ADULT PROBATION BOARD

Mrs. Henry Sahlein, President
Organized 1918
Federated 1920

The Auxiliary of the Adult Probation Board is an open organization with two classes of members, patrons subscribing twelve dollars annually and associates subscribing six.

The personnel is composed of philanthropically inclined women who stand ready to serve as a useful auxiliary to the Probation Board.

Requisitions are made upon the treasury by the chief probation officer as necessity requires funds for the rehabilitation of probationers. It is of interest to note that about forty percent of this money is returned and kept in a revolving fund.

The funds are used for rehabilitation of probationers, many of whom need a little financial aid, wisely administered in order to get a new grasp upon things.

This organization was formed in April, 1918, at a meeting held at the St. Francis Hotel. To this meeting were invited representatives of various civic and philanthropic bodies, as well as representative clergy, and after the needs of such a body were discussed, endorsement of the same was given by Rabbi Martin A. Meyer, Dean Wilmer, J. Gresham and the Archbishop.

A detailed account of the purposes to which the funds have been placed would be impossible in these columns, but it is with gratification that I report that the probation officers have relieved much distress by their careful distribution.

 

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Henry Sahlein, President
Miss Mary Sweeney, Vice-President
Miss Gladys Sullivan, Secretary
Mrs. Alphonse Jeddis, Treasurer


73. Women's Auxiliary to the Palace of Fine Arts.
Mrs. Joseph Fife, President

Organized 1916 Meets third Saturdays Federated 1917

The purpose of the Women's Auxiliary of the Palace of Fine Arts is
social service in and for the Fine Arts.
Meetings are held the third Saturday of each month, when a program in
the interest of one or more of the seven arts is presented.


74. WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION

Mrs. David Gilmore, President
Organized 1885
Federated 1916

Nineteen hundred and twenty is Victory Jubilee year for the Woman's
Christian Temperance Union throughout the world.

San Francisco County has a part in the drive for a million members and a
million dollars, as a jubilee memorial fund to carry on the work made
possible by the prohibition of the liquor traffic. Specializing on the
impossible, the friends of prohibition united their energies and
experiences, and as they advanced the impossible receded until the
ratification of the eighteenth constitutional amendment emancipated our
people from the domination of the saloon.

The young people of the churches held a victory meeting the evening of
January 15th, and january 16th other societies joined with the W. C. T.
U. in an all day prayer and praise meeting. Our slogan of 1920, "A
saloonless nation," makes imperative the slogan of today, "Work for law
enforcement where you are."

The local unions assisted the state in arranging for the entertaining of
the Pacific Regional Conference, which met in the city February 18th and
19th. The conference was composed of state presidents and delegates from
nine states.

The departments for which the million-dollar drive was especially made
were represented by their national directors: Americanization, Mary
Clark Barnes; Child Welfare, Mrs. Elizabeth Perkins; Social Morality,
Mrs. Gertrude S. Martin; Scientific Temperance, Mrs. L. O. Middleton.
These departments have been actively supported for years, but the names
have been changed as the work advanced. Other lecturers and officials
from home and abroad made it an educational and inspirational conference.

The departments in the county receiving the volunteer personal efforts
are: Soldiers and Sailors, Juvenile Court and Rescue Work, Flower
Mission, and religious services at the jails Sunday afternoons. A paid
worker for Americanization and Community Service has made a beginning
which will be extended as opportunity opens for mothers' meetings and
child welfare.

There is a universal service that cannot be segregated from state and
national. The Union Signal, the official national paper, keeps the
members informed of the work all around the world, and every week
publishes authentic congressional news reported by our legislative
representative at Washington. Particular attention is called to
movements and bills our organization should support. State papers
emphasize the same and in this way the influence of our women is
concentrated in securing needed legislation, and supporting projects for
the betterment of society.

Mrs. Gilmore resigned the office of president for more extended service,
but is appointed superintendent of Cooperation with Clubs

Our organization is planning with faith and work that the power and
spirit of the W. C. T. U. may be widely felt in the year before us.

The members of the Federation are most cordially invited to visit W. C.
T. U. State headquarters at No. 3 City Hall Avenue.

OFFICERS 1918-1920

Mrs. Frances Craise Gilmore, President
Mrs. A. M. McCroskey, Vice-President-at-Large
Mrs. M. F. Gilley, First Vice-President
Mrs. A. J. Burgess, Recording Secretary
Mrs. F. Hartell, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. W. B. Hibbett, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Miss Lucy Whitwell, President
Mrs. A. M. McCroskey, Vice-President-at-Large
Mrs. M. F. Gilley, First Vice-President
Mrs. Beatrice Coggins, Recording Secretary
Mrs. F. Hartell, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. W. B. Hibbett, Treasurer


75. WOMAN'S SYMPHONY ASSOCIATION

Mrs. Josephine Marshall Fernald, Founder and President

Organized 1916
Federated 1916
Meets first Mondays

The Association resumed its regular routine after the close of the war, during which time its members had been actively engaged in all lines of patriotic work, particularly furnishing programs not only locally but some of the members were in France and gave continually of their time and service for the entertainments scheduled.

Our principal work this year has been to inaugurate a campaign protesting against the discrimination against women musicians by our local Symphony Orchestra; they still continue to import men here, when we have women who are capable of filling these positions, and some of our members worked diligently to help raise the funds necessary to make the San Francisco Symphony possible.

We see feminism in music exerting a new influence already; we have two small women orchestras playing steadily in San Francisco and a few women in the mixed orchestras playing steadily in the theaters here and
Oakland and Berkeley, but most of our members are compelled to seek positions outside of this locality. Some are holding positions in New York, Denver, Seattle, Shanghai, China and Honolulu, and one is engaged
in the Paris Orchestra; others are traveling either in concert or vaudeville.

Supply and demand have put a premium on the services of the able musician and since the orchestra ructions are bound to extend all over the country one may speculate upon some of the effects, which will naturally place the woman musician where she rightfully belongs, in the Symphony Orchestras.

Another feature of our interests has been centered upon using and giving
all possible publicity to American artists and composers and the English
Opera, as well as American schools of music, to the end that the
American composer and poet may get together and evolve a play on
entirely original lines, which will reflects American life and ideals,
and thus get away from the traditional, artificial tinsel and limelight
of the foreign schools and dramas.

One of the outgrowths of the Association has been the establishment of
the Stanford Music School, in Palo Alto, with our president as head of
this institution.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Josephine Marshall Fernald, President

VICE-PRESIDENTS

Mrs. John B. Casserly
Mrs. Eleanor Martin
Mrs. E. H. Slissman
Mrs. A. A. Greenbaum
Mrs. Saul Magner
Mrs. Joseph H. Matheson, Secretary and Treasurer
Miss Edna Cadwalader, Librarian

DIRECTORS

Dorothy Pasmore
Sophia Akounine
Lutie Dorillion
Mary Pasmore
Augusta McIntyre
Mrs. A. McHugh
Mary Smith


76. YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION
PACIFIC COAST FIELD COMMITTEE

Mrs. Lawrence Draper, President
Federated 1920

Close to the Golden Gate, overlooking the great open sea, dwells the
Headquarters Office of the Pacific Coast Field Committee. The business
of many nations anchors in sight and as many more are launched and
piloted on their distant journeys.

Across the sea and continent come constant appeals to the Young Women's
Christian Association. We live in daily contact with New York, the
Headquarters National Office, the city, town and country and student
centers of California, Arizona, Nevada and the Hawaiian Islands.

Twenty national trained specialist work from this field office and
travel by request in an advisory capacity to local organized centers.
The questions of property, general economics, advance program, securing
and training of adequate secretary leadership demands the judgment of
people who can approach such problems with perspective and experience.
In addition to work already established the Pacific Coast Field
Committee is directly responsible for other creative and pioneer pieces
of work. The great pressure for immediate consideration is coming form
the town and country centers. The rightful position therefore of every
volunteer and employed member of the Pacific Coast Field Committee is
identical with that of the commercial world of "builders of business prestige."

The Young Women's Christian Association loves the girlhood of our
country more than all else and believes that the best of life is the
rightful heritage of girls everywhere.

OFFICERS 1919

Mrs. Lawrence Draper, Chairman
Mrs. Henry J. Crocker, First Vice-Chairman
Mrs. W. A. Moses, Second Vice-Chairman
Mrs. Ralph P. Merritt, Third Vice-Chairman
Mrs. J. W. Shotwell, Secretary
Mrs. John F. Merrill, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Lawrence Draper, Chairman
Mrs. Walter G. Barnwell, Vice-Chairman
Mrs. Henry J. Crocker, Vice-Chairman
Mrs. John Dennett, Jr.; Vice-Chairman
Mrs. R. O. Moody, Secretary
Mrs. John F. Merrill, Treasurer


 

77. CZECHO-SLOVAK WOMEN'S CLUB

Miss Margaret Miriam Krsak, President
Organized 1920
Federated 1920

The Czecho-Slovak Women's Club' was organized on May 24, 1920, at a
meeting at the Fairmont Hotel, with ten charter members.

 

The principal aim of the club is to bring all the Czecho-Slovak women of San Francisco and Bay counties together, that they may cooperate with the other women's clubs in all movements for civic improvements. It is also their object to promote a better understanding between the American-born and the Czecho-Slovak women of San Francisco by an interchange of all that is best in the music, art, literature, history and the economic and commercial development of both countries. It is hoped to cement more firmly in times of peace the friendship begun during the stress of war when the Americans and the Czecho-Slovaks were allies.

It is still too early for the announcement of any definite plans of study and activity for the club, but the members hope to have their program mapped out very soon. The promotion of American ideals, and everything pertaining to the moral and material benefit of the community will, of course, receive the first attention of the Czecho-Slovak Women's Club.

 

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Miss Margaret Miriam Krsak, President
Mrs. Anthony Julis, Secretary and Treasurer


78. CLIONIAN CLUB
Mrs. W. I. Clayes, President

Organized 1897
Federated 1920
Meets second and fourth Tuesdays

Clionian Club was organized in 1897. Since its organization, it has been
and is today, the only club in San Francisco devoted solely to the study
of History. In years past, the history, art, literature, and music of
the various European countries have been studied by us. The years
1918-1920 were devoted to the study of India. During 1920-1921 we shall
take up the study of the United States of America.

The meetings are held at the homes of the members on the second and
fourth Tuesdays of each month. Guest days, four annually, are held at
333 Grant Avenue.

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. W. I . Clayes, President
Mrs. M. S. Dobie, First Vice-President
Mrs. L. A. Reed, Second Vice-President
Mrs. W. E. Arding, Recording Secretary
Miss Jean Cumming, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. C. R. Avery, Treasurer
Mrs. J. E. Herrin, Auditor

 


 

Transcribed by Elaine Sturdevant

HOME I PREVIOUS

Page last updated July 31, 2002

Report any problems with the webpage to:
Graphics and Web design by Cyd Rawls