60. SAN FRANCISCO NURSERY FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

Miss Jessica lee Briggs, President
Federated 1919

The San Francisco Nursery for Homeless Children was incorporated March 24, 1892, with the object of providing a non-sectarian home for children, abandoned, orphaned or whose parents either by neglect, ill-fortune, or unfitness could not give them proper care and protection.

the institution was first organized in 1887 as a Foundling Home; but finding that there were fewer foundlings than other children needing care, the Board of Managers changed the name to the present one, and took out corporation papers as an orphanage. The children have, from the beginning, been welcomed and cared for without a question as to race, color, or religion. The only questions have been the child's need and our financial ability to meet it.

In 1904, the Nursery moved into its present comfortable home at Fourteenth Avenue and Lake Street. Friends of the Nursery have, from time to time, either by direct donation or by bequest, generously given money which has been used in erecting the present home or in establishing a "rainy day" fund.

During the past seven years a "Pencil-Sale Day" has netted us about one-half our annual expenses. The parents or relatives of the children pay monthly what they can - some nothing at all, some very little - and we get some state and county aid, but for no child do we get as much as it costs us, i.e., about $25 each month.

Our main dependence must be on our subscribing members' list. Membership
dues are five dollars per year. Any person making a single payment of
$100, or any child making a single payment of $50, may become a life member.

Sixty-five dollars will purchase and equip a bed; ten dollars will
maintain it for one year; one hundred dollars will permanently care for it.

We have, within the last five years, established a kindergarten for our
children under school age, so that the little ones might be taught to
play constructively. The nucleus of a library has been formed, and we
hope that friends of the institution will aid by sending to the Home old
of new books suitable for the children.

The Home of the Society is located on Lake Street and Fourteenth Avenue.
Parents and friends may visit the children on the first and third
Sundays in the month from 2 to 5 p.m. Visitors to the Nursery are
cordially welcomed any day except Sunday.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Jessica Lee Briggs, President
Miss Margaret M. Morgan, 1st Vice-President
Mrs. Max Bertheau, 2nd Vice-President
Mrs. Henry Harris, 3rd Vice-President
Mrs. John W. Fisher, Treasurer
Mrs. E. G. Fischer, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Herbert L. Rothchild, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. F. V. Wright, Business Secretary


61. SAN FRANCISCO ORGANIZATION FOR PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING

Miss Helen M. Stack, President
Organized 1914
Federated 1920

The San Francisco Organization for Public Health Nursing is of nurses
and lay people engaged in the actual work of public health nursing and
in the organization, management, and support of such work.

September, 25, 1914, Miss M. L. Sweeney, then president of the San
Francisco County Nurses' Association, issued invitations to nurses
engaged in municipal social service work, including school nursing,
settlement and welfare work, to meet at her home, 2699 California
Street, for the purpose of organizing a public health nursing
organization. Many Responded.

September, 30, 1914, The San Francisco Organization for Public Health
Nursing came into being. October 7, 1914, constitution and by-laws were
adopted. Miss May Clary was the first president.

There are three kinds of memberships; Active, associate and honorary.

The organization is guided by the standards of the National Organization
for Public Health Nursing. The regular meetings are held the second
Thursday for each month at the Nurses' Club House, 1155 Pine Street. The
meetings are always interesting, as a prominent specialist is invited to
address the members.

In 1915 the National Organization for Public Health Nursing convened in
San Francisco. It has been the privilege of this association to
entertain many prominent eastern public health nurses.

Public health nursing in the United States has grown out of the visiting
nurse. "District nursing is desirable if from a merely economic point of
view. It often prevents whole families sinking into poverty and vice,
the consequences of which take vengeance on society," said Florence
Nightingale in 1870.

It is now recognized that special training, or experience, in addition
to the usual hospital course, is necessary for efficient public health work.

A course to prepare nurses for public health and social service work was
established at the University of California in January, 1919. It is now
an eight-months course, in addition to the usual three-year hospital course.

Behind the public health nurse we hope to have the understanding and
support of all the women of the country. We believe we will accomplish
this when it is fully realized what the nurse means to her community. We
depend on the women of the nation, not only for understanding and
support, but we depend upon them to encourage young women to take up the
profession of nursing.

The organization started with a membership of twenty, and up to the
present this number has increased to seventy-nine.

We are pleased to add to our brief history that in 1920 we applied and
were admitted as a member of the City and County Federation of Women's Clubs.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Helen M. Stack, R. N., President
Miss Olive McGinnis, R. N., Vice-President
Miss Anna Helene De Vinne, R. N., Secretary
Miss Edith Fox, R. N., Treasurer


62. SHERMAN MOTHERS' CLUB

Mrs. P. Barsotti, President
Federated 1918

The Parent-Teacher Club of Sherman School has, during the past two
years, met every second Tuesday. Our membership is about thirty. Our
dues are ten cents each month, and every third month an additional ten
cents is collected for our Emergency fund. Twice each term a dance is
given, the proceeds also going to the Emergency fund. This fund is drawn
upon for shoes and clothing for the needy children of the school, thus
making it possible for them to attend.

From the General fund, the current expenses of the Club are paid, and
things that add to the pleasure of the children are made possible. We
sent five dollars to the Mothers' Congress Christmas Tree fund. We
bought tickets for the whist party for the Cobblers' fund, and have
helped in all things whenever we could.

We try to cooperate with our principal and teachers and they attend our
meetings. This is a splendid opportunity for the mothers and teachers to
become acquainted. We hope to continue in the same way during the next year.

OFFICERS 1918

Mrs. Everest Wesley Wilson, President

Mrs. De Marta, President
Mrs. P. Barsotti, First Vice-President
Mrs. DeMartini, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Edwards, Secretary
Mrs. Davidson, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919

Mrs. P. Barsotti, President
Mrs. Kane, First Vice-President
Mrs. Perry, Second Vice-President
Mrs. J. R. Turner, Secretary
Mrs. Daclin, Treasurer
Mrs. De Marta, Parliamentarian

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Kane, President
Mrs. Mitchell, First Vice-President
Mrs. Turner, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Oswald, Secretary
Mrs. Hymes, Treasurer
Mrs. De Marta, Parliamentarian

Mrs. De Marta, Parliamentarian


63. SIENA ALUMNAE

Miss Edith Fleming, President
Organized 1913
Federated 1918
Meets Quarterly on Tuesday

The Siena Club of San Francisco is one of a chain of Catholic clubs over
the land, now numbering seventy-five. These clubs minister to the
Catholic students of nearly every big university, college and normal
school in our country.

In April 1913, with the approval of the late Archbishop Riordan, Siena
Club was organized, and place by him under the patronage of one of the
greatest women of the fourteenth century, St. Catherine of Siena, hence
its name.

Any Catholic young woman studying for a profession in any recognized San
Francisco Normal School is eligible to membership.

The object of the Club is to advance the spiritual and intellectual life
of its members, and to foster among them a pleasant, wholesome social life.

Archbishop Hanna has been active chaplain of the Club since its organization.

The Siena Alumnae is composed of the former members who are now
graduates. We assist in very way possible the student members, many of
whom are strangers in San Francisco, coming here from country places. To
this end an informal tea is served each Tuesday in our club rooms at 50
Oak Street, to which all the undergraduates are invited. The
acquaintances formed are most helpful. This is our principal work. In addition:

For the coming year we have pledged ourselves to give a monthly program
at the Home for Incurables.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Miss Nellie C. Sullivan, President
Miss Mary F. O'Connell, Vice-President
Miss Constance Graham, Secretary
Miss Elise Schou, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Edith M. Fleming, President
Miss Josephine Feely, Vice-President
Miss Marion Whelan, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Margaret Maschio, Recording Secretary
Miss Mary Walsh, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Miss Abigail Clary, Miss Irene O'Connor, Miss Alice Dawes, Miss Beatrice
Weinman, Miss Nell Sullivan, Miss Loretta Enright, Miss Anna Foppiano,
Miss Claire Williamson, Miss Gertrude McLaughlin, Miss Antoinette
Schwab, Miss Alice Murphy


64. SOCIAL WORKERS' ALLIANCE

Miss Anita Eldridge, Secretary and federation Representative

The object of the Alliance, as stated in our by-laws, is "to raise the
standard of social service, to promote a closer cooperation among the
workers, to created a wider interest in all laws and affairs pertaining
to social and civil betterment."

Membership in the organization is open to anyone who is actively engaged
in social work either professionally or as a volunteer. Regular monthly
meetings are held in the assembly room of the Y. W. C. A., 620 Sutter
Street, on the fourth Tuesday of each month. The executive committee of
the Alliance meets regularly once a month. The dues are $1.00 per year.

OFFICERS 1919-1921

Mr. J. C. Astredo, President
Mr. Irving Lipsitch, Vice-President
Miss Anita Eldridge, Secretary-Treasurer


65. SOROSIS OF CALIFORNIA

Mrs. Everest Wesley Wilson, President
Organized 1893
Joined City Federation 1916
Meets second and fourth Mondays

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Charles A. Shurtleff, President
Mrs. John H. Robertson, Vice-President
Mrs. Edwin Stadtmuller, Vice-President
Mrs. John J. Spieker, Vice-President
Miss Jennie Stanyan, Vice-President
Miss Florence Stull, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. B. Tufts, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Joseph Dupuy Hodgen, Business Secretary
Mrs. A. C. Rulofson, Jr., Treasurer

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS

Mrs. Frank W. Sumner
Mrs. C. H. Huffman
Mrs. Wm. E. Dennison
Mrs. Adolph Wenzelburger
Mrs. Lawrence Pierson
Miss Fannie Danforth

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Everest Wesley Wilson, President
Miss Florence Stull, Vice-President
Mrs. Charles H. Huffman, Vice-President
Mrs. Charles C. Judson, Vice-President
Mrs. Horace P. Howard, Vice-President
Mrs. Milton E. Unger, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Josephine P. Borda, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Archer C. Griffith, Business Secretary
Mrs. Alfred C. Rulofson, Jr., Treasurer

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS

Mrs. Lawrence H. Pierson
Miss Fannie Danforth
Mrs. William E. Dennison
Mrs. Henry E. Monroe
Mrs. William D. Keystone
Mrs. Mary N. Lawton

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Everest Wesley Wilson, President
Miss Florence Stull, First Vice-President
Mrs. Charles H. Huffman, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Charles C. Judson, Third Vice-President
Mrs. J. F. Pressly, Fourth Vice-President
Mrs. M. E. Unger, Recording Secretary
Mrs. C. H. Wilson, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. J. D. Hodgen, Business Secretary
Mrs. J. Borda, Treasurer

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS

Mrs. J. H. Barbat
Mrs. H. C. Holmes
Mrs. W. D. Keyston
Mrs. Mary Lawton
Mrs. A. C. McLaughlin
Mrs. A. C. Rulofson


66. SPRING VALLEY MOTHERS' CLUB

Mrs. J. F. Revalk, President
Organized 1914
Federated 1917
Meets second and fourth Wednesdays

The Spring Valley Mothers' Club is principally interested in the Spring
Valley school. Its work consists of furnishing clothing and shoes for
needy children, enabling them to attend school.

When found necessary the rent of their homes is paid and food provided.
Milk was provided for five indigent families during the year. At
Thanksgiving and Christmas day well filled baskets were provided to the
most needy ones. Mrs. T. Murray has charge of all of the welfare work.

Mrs. Fred Aldrich is chairman of the sick committee. Her duties are to
visit the sick and provide them with flowers.

Mrs. Wilkerson is in charge of all social affairs. Each sixth meeting of
the Club is a social one, when refreshments are served and an
entertainment is furnished by the pupils of the school, or some
prominent speaker addresses the members. Dances and card games are given
during the year.

One Liberty bond was bought during each drive. A donation of ten dollars was sent to the Associated Charities and one of five dollars to the Homeless Children fund of the N. D. G. W.

Mrs. V. Ritchie looks after the interests of the Spring Valley
playground at Broadway and Larkin street. We are now working to have it
enlarged as it is far too small.

A rummage sale was held last December. The strenuous work of the ladies
in charge netted the Club's treasury $163.75.

The Club meets in the auditorium of the school at 2:30 p.m. on the
second and fourth Wednesdays of each month.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Samuel Bermingham, President
Mrs. Ida Maas, Vice-President
Mrs. M. A. Hoogs, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Lionel Shaw, Secretary
Mrs. V. Bottomly, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Miss M. E. Keating
Mrs. Fred Aldrich
Mrs. T. Murray
Mrs. M. E. Sanford
Mrs. B. Goldsmith
Mrs. J. K. Revalk
Mrs. Frank Howard
Mrs. L. Botcher

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. J. F. Revalk, President
Mrs. J. Galvin, Vice-President
Mrs. Williams, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Bottomley, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Miss Keating
Mrs. Aldrich
Mrs. Murray
Mrs. S. Birmingham
Mrs. Ritchie, and
The Officers


67. TO KALON CLUB

Mrs. Edward J. Wales, President

Organized 1904
City Federation 1916
Meets first Tuesdays

To Kalon celebrated it(s) fifteenth anniversary by an elaborate luncheon at the Fairmont Hotel, September 20, 1919. The affair was made noteworthy by the presentation of a pageant, "Pandora's Box Re-filled," written by Mrs. Josephine Wilson, the well known newspaper woman, who has long been the chairman of the ToKalon Literary section. Fully one hundred members participated, Dr. Cora Sutton Castle, a member of the Club, taking the leading part. The keynote of the pageant was Hope. Its literary merit was of exceptional excellence.

ToKalon had a booth at the City Federation Fete, where the significance of the name of the Club was carried out in a beautiful setting. Three youthful members, in grecian costumes, personifying music, literature, and art, formed a tableaux in front of several pure with Grecian columns, each representing a section in the Club.

The sections have been exceedingly busy. A law section was organized at
the beginning of the year under the direction of Mrs. Stanley Vernon
Wilson and Dr. Theresa Meikle, both of the Law College of the University
of California. Lectures By Dr. Meikle, now a practicing attorney, have
been given on the following subjects: Common Law Procedure, Contracts,
The Making and Probating of Will, Community Property, The Signing of
Notes and Checks, and Negotiable Instruments. The members have become
greatly interested in the study of law and the section, open to members only, has been a large one. The final meeting, in May, however, will be a law tea to which guests will be welcomed. Prominent women attorneys will address the members on this occasion.

The Literary section of ToKalon, under the direction of Mrs. Josephine
Wilson, the California representative of the League of American pen
Women, has devoted the monthly meetings to the study of California
authors, play writers and musicians. The literary work of the club
includes a plan of making San Francisco a literary center. It was at the
luncheon given at the Bellevue Hotel, where representative women from
local clubdom gathered at the invitation of ToKalon, that the plan was
first defined. Since then, round-table gatherings have interested lovers
of literature throughout the city and many women are identifying
themselves with the literary sections in the different clubs. The final
meeting of ToKalon's section will be held the last Wednesday in May,
when another big literary event will take place in the form of a tea at
the Fairmont Hotel. The occasion will be in honor of Mrs. Cora Sutton
Castle, author of "A Statistical Study of Eminent Women." Members of all
the local clubs will be invited to attend this literary gathering.

One dollar per month for one year was contributed towards the
maintenance of the Palace of Fine Arts.

Since April, 1919, Mrs. J. A. Johnson sold over $900 worth of Thrift Stamps.

Monthly contribution is made to the Alice Fredericks Memorial fund for
the support of a home teacher in the Potrero district.

Notwithstanding the raising of the dues, many new members were received
during the year.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Edward J. Wales, President
Mrs. F. W. Thompson, First Vice-President
Mrs. Einar Wismar, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Albert W. Stokes, Third Vice-President
Mrs. Joseph Mells, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Clarence M. Seavey, Business Secretary
Mrs. J. M. Dixon, Treasurer
Mrs. Howard Herrington, Auditor

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Edward J. Wales, President
Mrs. F. W. Thompson, First Vice-President
Mrs. Albert W. Stokes, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Einar Wismar, Third Vice-President
Mrs. Joseph Mells, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. E. Butterfield, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. May C. Boldenmann, Business Secretary
Mrs. J. M. Dixon, Treasurer
Mrs. D. Hannah, Auditor

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Albert W. Stokes, President
Mrs. Einar Wismar, First Vice-President
Mrs. Max Kuhl, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Pierson Durbrow, Third Vice-President
Mrs. W. J. Wright, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. E. Butterfield, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. E. C. McKenzie, Business Secretary
Mrs. J. M. Dixon, Treasurer
Mrs. D. Hannah, Auditor


68. TRAVELERS' AID SOCIETY OF CALIFORNIA

Mrs. F. G. Sanborn, Federation Representative
Federated 1919

We have now reached the sixth year of the existence of Travelers' Aid work in this community. It has become a permanent institution to safeguard travelers.

The workers of the Society conversed with and assisted 33,805 people during 1919, among whom were travelers ranging in age from three months to ninety-two years, coming from all parts of the world, representing twenty-four nationalities, in need of assistance, passing through the docks and railway terminals of the city.

This Society was organized primarily to protect young girls and unescorted women, but our records show that Travelers' Aid work is fast becoming universal, 2,160 men and boys being assisted during 1919.

One thousand three hundred and ninety-seven travelers were under ten years of age - the many little histories would be an interesting addition to any library. Numbers of these young travelers were runaways, boys and girls, who were returned to their homes without having come in contact with the police, thereby saving their names from going on record.

Three thousand and twelve persons were housed in hotels, boarding
houses, private homes and institutions, all being investigated by the
Society. These were principally girls, children and young women. The
matter of housing children has been the most difficult problem faced by
the Society. Families are met with from one to ten children. As many as
twenty-five calls have been made to people listed, who have absolutely
refused to accept any children. The cheaper hotels have been most
helpful in these cases, after pleading with them, and, in fact, they
make very reasonable rates, with the understanding that we take them
elsewhere as soon as possible. We have gone so far as to find cars at
the beach- impossible to go any further. I trust this matter will, in
the near future, be taken up by those interested in this necessary
subject. If it were possible for the Travelers' Aid Society to have a
home the situation might be relieved considerably. In many instances
these families are enroute; for others employment is secured for the
father of the family, thereby preventing them from becoming charges.

Records are on file in our office as to the destination of each traveler
in this State and we are ready to quote the number of persons assisted
in each of the counties, such as Sonoma, where there were 398 cases.
Humboldt County, which is one of the largest, had 538 cases for the past
year, and so on for each of the counties. These figures are kept so that
at some future time we may be able to interest each particular county in
the work and thereby gain its financial support.

Traverlers' Aid reaches all parts of the world. Many appointments from
Travelers' Aid Societies in Australia, Canada, France, Sweden, Denmark,
etc., are received. Arrangements are made through this society for
transportation for all travelers, young and old. We have had several
seven-year-old children and one eighty-four year old traveler, who came
to this country to join her children.

Reports are received on all transports arriving. Many transports during
the year have brought Russian girls, some of them brides of our
soldiers, who are cared for, employment secured for some, others housed
until their husbands are released.

This Society has assisted in showing up illegitimate correspondence
clubs - thus saving many unsophisticated girls. This investigation took
place in this city, which later became nation-wide.

Many times requests are wired to investigate addresses of suspicious
characters before the traveler reaches his destination.

Fourteen thousand and thirty-three social services cases are on record.
This covering poor, ill, employment, locating friends, visits, loans of
money, securing transportation, etc.

One of the principal items is the loan of large and small sums of money
and for tickets to various parts of the United States. Scarcely a day
passes without a request for transportation, reduced and free. If we
were to grant all, the railroads could almost run for the use of this
society. Some are appreciative and return the sums when impressed upon
them that by so doing other persons in a like predicament may be
assisted.

The work during 1919 was presented by several of the directors and the
executive secretary before clubs in this city and Alameda County,
thereby adding some new members. We hope to be able to continue this
until such time as sufficient money is received to place the society on
a sound financial basis.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

HONORARY OFFICERS

Most Reverend Archbishop E. J. Hanna
Rt. Rev. Bishop Wm. Ford Nichols
Mrs. Charles B. Alexander
Mrs. Louis Sloss

OFFICERS

Mr. Wallace M. Alexander, President
Most Reverend Archbishop E. J. Hanna, Vice President
Dr. Martin A. Meyer, Vice-President
Judge John F. Davis, Vice-President
Mrs. F. G. Sanborn, Vice-President
Mrs. A. P. Black, Secretary
Mrs. S. C. Gomez, Treasurer


69. UTILE DULCI CLUB

Mrs. Edwin J. Hanson, President
Organized 1916
Federated 1917
Meets on the last Friday of each month

The aims and purposes of Utile Dulci Club are: To entertain and extend hospitality to representative Swedish or Swedish-American women who may visit our city; to promote sociability and intellectual advancement among its members; to take the initiative or cooperate in patriotic undertakings appertaining to the Swedish-Americans or where their united assistance is appealed to in any local matter.

The special philanthropy of the Club is assisting deserving young women, of Swedish birth or descent, to obtain university or other advanced education. Our dream for the early future is to send a young woman from about San Francisco to Sweden for one year's study in Domestic Science, Domestic Art and Physical Education.

The Club, however, participates in other charitable movements where its assistance is appealed to, having sponsored a benefit for Mme. Julia Horta of Brussels in behalf of the children of Northern France and Belgium.

When the California organization for Federal Recognition of Women
Physicians decided to establish the Dr. Julia P. Larson Memorial section
of Stanford Medical Library, Utile Dulci Club volunteered its assistance
in contributing toward this fund because of Dr. Larson's Swedish
descent, believing that this library on Child Surgery was a most fitting
memorial to a woman who had served in this profession with such distinction.

The books of Selma Lagerlofand Ellen Key have been reviewed and read. At the fete held by the Federation, Utile Dulci Club exhibited domestic art as one of the heritages the Swedish woman brings to her adoptive land, and contributed folk dances to the program.

Guests that courtesies have been extended to recently are: Miss Mae
Peterson, who was on a concert tour; Miss Ingvar, national supervisor of
domestic science in Sweden; Miss Sara Olsson, representing the Royal
Railroad Administration of Sweden; and Mrs. Jennie Velander, professor
of the state normal schools in Sweden.

A reception and luncheon was held at the Fairmont Hotel in honor of Mrs. Carl E. Wallerstadt, wife of the newly appointed Swedish consul, who has been elected as honorary president of the club.

OFFICERS 1918

Mrs. Edwin J. Hanson, President
Mrs. Alfred Berglof, Vice-President
Mrs. Jas. M. Holmes, Secretary
Mrs. Chas. J. Swanson, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919

Mrs. Edwin J. Hanson, President
Mrs. Louis Lindstrom, Vice-President
Mrs. Herbert E. Linden, Secretary
Mrs. Chas. J. Swanson, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Edwin J. Hanson, President
Mrs. Alfred Berglof, Vice-President
Mrs. Abel Johnson, Secretary
Mrs. Chas. J. Swanson, Treasurer


 

Transcribed by Elaine Sturdevant

HOME I PREVIOUS I NEXT

Page last updated July 29, 2002

Report any problems with the webpage to:
Graphics and Web design by Cyd Rawls