50. PHELPS CIRCLE No. 1, UNITED STATES VETERAN NAVY

Mrs. Celia Dutreaux, President
Organized 11914
Federated 1917
Meets every fourth Friday

Phelps Circle is an auxiliary to Phelps Squadron, United States Veteran
Navy, and is composed of not only the relatives of the men who served in
the United States Navy during the wars in which our country has been
engaged, but of loyal patriotic women, who love the Navy and take a just
pride in its achievements.

Phelps Circle, organized in 1914, has been a valuable assistant to
Phelps Squadron, which latter organization initiated the beautiful
custom of going out upon the ocean, and after holding solemn services,
and rendering eulogies to the memory not only of those who died during
the preceding year, but, also, to the memory of the men who in years
gone by distinguished themselves in the service of their country,
proceeded to strew upon the bosom of the ocean, spring's most beautiful
offerings, the flowers and wreaths contributed by a grateful country.

OFFICERS 1918

Mrs. Rose M. Taylor, Captain
Mrs. Celia Dutreaux, Mrs. Madge Ash, Mrs. Sophie Haley, Miss Eva Holmes,
Mrs. Olive Scott, Mrs. Isabelle Kennett, Mrs. Lulie Hanscom, Mrs. Teresa
Sohms, Mrs. M. Irene Foster, Mrs. Mary Van Horn, Mrs. Hannah Floyd, Miss
Charlotte Revaleon

OFFICERS 1919

Mrs. Rose M. Taylor, Captain
Sophie Haley, M. Irene Foster, Flora Bowley, Lulie Hanscom, Isabelle
Kennett, Roberta Hopkins, Mary Van Horn, Eva Holmes, Alma Jansen,
Georgia Hodgman, Rose Taylor, Olive M. Scott, Lillie Roxburgh, Madge Ash

OFFICERS 1920

Madge Ash, Captain
Lillie Roxburgh, Rose Taylor, Alma Jansen, Mary Van Horn, Isabelle
Kennett, Olive M. Scott, Roberta Hopkins, M. Irene Foster, Celia
Dutreaux, Aida Gilberts, May Peixotto
Lulie Hanscom, Paymaster
Eva S. Holmes, Ship's Writer


51. PHILOMATH CLUB

Mrs. Myer Friedman, President
Organized 1894
Federated 1919
Meets second and fourth Mondays

In 1894, Mrs. Isadore Lowenberg, assisted by Mesdames Helen Hecht, A. S.
Bettleheim, Wm. Haas, J. H. Neustadter, Chas. L. Ackerman, Moses Heller,
S. Nickelsburg and Mrs. H. Anspacher-Meyers, organized Philomath Club.
Its object was "to encourage literary and educational pursuits and to
promote civic ideals." A broad and comprehensive platform twenty-six
years ago, it is still big enough to carry the widening activities of a
new generation.

The keynote of 1918-1919 was Service, and Philomath Club gave of itself
without stint. The splendid Red Cross Auxiliary opened for work
September, 1917, and closed its doors February 15, 1919, having sent to
Red Cross headquarters 69,434 surgical dressings and 2,208 sewed
articles. It furnished entertainment for enlisted men, sent Christmas
bags to soldiers, tobacco comforts to Mare Island for men imprisoned for
minor offenses; assisted in the drives organized by the Woman's Army and
was registered as Team Six with the War Savings Stamps Committee,
accounting for $144,255.34 worth of Stamps. Its delegate kept the Club
in touch with Food Conservation problems. Generous contributions were
made to drives and funds during the year, viz: The California Committee
for Relief in Serbia and Northern France, American Jewish Relief
Committee, Red Cross Scholarships.

Six thousand dollars were invested in the various Government Bond issues
and $100 in War Savings Stamps. The first recipient of Philomath's
eighth grade scholarship is now self-suporting and a second little girl
is being put through high school. This is in line with Americanization
work, for the visiting home teacher keeps in close touch with the
benificiary. During the influenza epidemic a professional cook was
engaged and 1,000 packages of nourishing food distributed through Red
Cross channels. The Club also adopted six French war orphans.

To cultural items it contributed carefully planned programs; monetary
aid to the Palace of fine Arts Maintenance fund, to its Library fund; to
the Public Education Society.

The present year found Philomath continuing her Eighth Grade
Scholarship, her contributions to the Palace of Fine Arts Maintenance
and Library funds, and in addition supporting the Alice Fredericks
Memorial fund, the Mary Prag Scholarship, the Roosevelt Memorial, Korean
Relief, the Palestinian Supply Committee, the Edith Cavell and Marie de
Page Hospital of Belgium, the Near East Relief fund, Palestinian
Restoration fund, the International Longfellow Society. Six of our
members volunteered for service on Dr. Anne Nicholson's Americanization
Court Committee. The club participated in the City Federation Fete. Its
bi-monthly programs touched on topics of live interest - music, the
drama, and politics. They were presented by college professors, writers,
professional men, public lecturers, artists, and by our own members.

Philomath is a member of The Recreation League, and is interested in all
movements of social and communal concern.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Myer Friedman, President
Mrs. Isaac Prager, Vice-President
Mrs. Oscar Hoffman, Second Vice-President
Mrs. S. F. Haber, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Maurice Greenberg, Business Secretary
Miss Sarita Henderson, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Hattie Sheideman, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. B. D. Pike
Mrs. Chas. Schlessinger
Mrs. Simon Anspacher
Miss Rachel Abel

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Richard Newman, President
Mrs. Isaac Prager, Vice-President
Mrs. Oscar Hoffman, Second Vice-President
Mrs. S. F. Haber, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Maurice Greenberg, Business Secretary
Miss Sarita Henderson, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Hattie Sheideman, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Miss Rachel Abel
Mrs. Simon Anspacher
Mrs. J. J. Eppinger
Mrs. Herbert Clayburgh


52. PRESIDENTS' ASSEMBLY

Mrs. Harold Lawrence Seager, President
Organized 1913
Federated 1917
Meets four times a year

The Presidents' Assembly, "The Alumnae of Clubs," has for its membership Presidents and Past Presidents, not only of San Francisco and the Bay City clubs, but of the clubs of the State.

Mrs. Louis Hertz continued her activities as President until May, 1919, and contributed the following delightful meetings.

September, 1918, to render patriotic service, a theater party was given in the California Theater, followed by tea in the Red Cross Tea Shop. At this meeting Mrs. Julius Kahn brought a message from Washington, D. C., and the Assembly voted to endow a bed in the Navy Red Cross Club.

December 7, the Lux School extended its hospitality to the organization for the Christmas Jinks.

A memorable day was spent at Mills College March 8. A luncheon, prepared and served by college girls, was followed by a play, "In the Tents of the Arabs," and an address by Dr. Aurelia Reinhardt.

The annual meeting took place in May at the Red Cross lunch room in the Civic Center. Thirty dollars was voted at this meeting for the Alice Frederick Memorial fund to establish a home teacher in San Francisco, and twelve dollars was subscribed to the Maintenance fund of the Palace of Fine Arts. The name of the President, Mrs. Louis Hertz, was placed on the honor roll of the Endowment fund of the State Federation of Women's Clubs.

The year 1919-1920, Mrs. Harold L. Seager, President, opened with a tea
in the Pagoda, at "Taits at the Beach," the President of the State
Federation of Women's Clubs, Mrs. Aaron Schloss, being guest of honor.

The Assembly was holiday hostess on December 13 to thirty children from
the Czecho-Slovak Colony and Telegraph Hill settlement. "The Bird's
Christmas Carol," by Kate Douglas Wiggin, was presented, and at the
close, Santa Claus appeared simultaneously with the lighting up of the
large Christmas tree. Boxes of candy, nuts, fruit, and cornucopias of
ice cream were distributed.

March 6, with Nielson Laurvik as guide and lecturer, the Assembly
visited the J. Pierpont Morgan Collection of Rembrandt Etchings and
Prints installed in the galleries of the Palace of Fine Arts and later
enjoyed tea in the tea room. Twelve dollars was contributed to the
maintenance fund of the Palace of Fine Arts and also twenty dollars to
the orphan fund of the Near East Relief Commission.

The splendid programs presented under the auspices of the Presidents'
Assembly Friday evenings at the Presidio Y. M. C. A. Building during two
years of war times, have been rated as perhaps the best contributed by
any one organization in the United States. This service has been
continued since last September under the chairmanship of Mrs. A. W.
Scott.

Many a mother, sister, and sweetheart of boys in Letterman Hospital
found cozy and attractive the artistic sitting room furnished by the
Assembly at the New Outside Inn, where they were domiciled during their
stay in San Francisco. The writing room in the new Y. W. C. A. quarters
is also appreciated - both being furnished during the former
administration.

Contributions are made to the Travellers' Aid, Alice Frederick Memorial
find, Maintenance fund of the Palace of Fine Arts, the Near East Relief
and our local homeless children have in different ways been made
happier.

HONORARY PRESIDENT

Miss Christine Hart

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Louis Hertz, President
Mrs. Harold L. Seager, First Vice-President
Mrs. Helen Ladd, Second Vice-President
Mrs. M. O. Austin, Third Vice-President
Miss Eleanor Grace Unger, Treasurer
Mrs. Josephine Wilson, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Charles Wright, Corresponding Secretary

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Harold L. Seager, President
Mrs. M. O. Austin, First Vice-President
Mrs. Jessica Lee Briggs, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Wallace R. Pond, Third Vice-President
Mrs. H. C. Jensen, Treasurer
Mrs. John D. Jessup, Recording Secretary
Mrs. F. H. Jones, Corresponding Secretary

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Harold L. Seager, President
Mrs. M. O. Austin, First Vice-President
Miss Jessica Lee Briggs, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Wallace R. Pond, Third Vice-President
Mrs. H. C. Jensen, Treasurer
Mrs. John D. Jessup, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Ira Crosscup, Corresponding Secretary


53. SAINT FRANCIS STUDY CLUB

Miss Jennie Cohan, President
Organized 1915
Federated 1916
Meets second and fourth Mondays

The Saint Francis Study Club was organized for the purpose of self-culture
and education, and the membership has now reached a total of fifty-two in number.

We have devoted a great deal of our time to the study of the history and
peoples of the different nations. Then the study of the literature was taken
up and last year was devoted to the study of the dramatists of the European
nations, and many of the most important works of the different dramatists
were studied and discussed. It has been very interesting to hear the
different members discuss these works, and at the close of the meeting each
member has felt that she has gained a great deal from the meeting.

We hold meetings on the second and fourth Monday of each month. The second
Monday is devoted to our study work, and the fourth Monday is devoted to the
discussion of current events.

We are all very much interested in the current event meetings and on these
evenings we have a very interesting and capable speaker come to out club and
take up the subjects of the greatest importance at the present time.
These meetings are found most illuminating and interesting to all who attend.

OFFICERS 1918

Miss Helen Brown, President
Miss Gertrude Echoff, Secretary
Mrs. F. Smith, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Toomey, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919

Miss Ethel Cumbers, President
Miss Kate Hanson, Secretary
Mrs. Jewett, Treasurer
Mrs. F. Smith, Corresponding Secretary

OFFICERS 1920

Miss Jennie Cohan, President
Mrs. G. Pomeroy, Vice-President
Mrs. Lillian Brown, Recording Secretary
Miss Rae Cohan, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. A. Jewett, Treasurer

ADVISORY BOARD

Mrs. Grace Caukin
Miss Helen Brown
Mrs. Grace Fleck


54. SAN FRANCISCO ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND

Mrs. William Mitchell Bunker, President
Organized 1902
Federated 1917
Meets first Thursdays

Blindcraft is the trademark of the San Francisco Association for the
Blind. The unique society, started by a woman, directed by women,
managed by a woman, and today a welfare success, is so distinctly
successful in an economic sense that it ranks as a model for similar
organizations throughout the United States. While helpful educationally
and socially, the policy of the Association is to first provide gainful
occupation for the adult blind and thus enable them to revel in
independence.

The first object of the Association is the industrial development that
will provide the funds for broadening the work for the blind. This
development has already reached impressive proportions.

From two rooms in the small frame building to twenty-five thousand
square feet of floor space in a three-story brick structure, with a
corresponding increase in equipment, is the history of the San Francisco
Association for the Blind for 1919. The Association carries many of the
blind in its motor trucks to and from Blindcraft Building, 1120 Folsom
Street. It teaches Braille, self-discipline and other things the blind
need to know.

The workers of Blindcraft Building make baskets, brooms, reed and rattan
furniture and rugs, not in a trivial way, but in large quantities, the
products totaling many thousands of dollars per year, a volume of
business that ranks the Association with the important industrial units
of California, a fact doubly significant and doubly valuable when one
recalls that the organization is wholly devoted to the welfare or the
blind.

In spite of trials of all kinds, the Association has created a market
for its products, enlarged its plant, improved its library and made
Blindcraft Building a hive of industry. Nowhere are there more cheerful
workers. The Association provides coffee and soup for the lunch, and
fruit in season. And all the time the canaries in Blindcraft aviary are
singing sweetly. Once a month a lunch is served to all the force in
honor of those whose birthdays fall in that month, and once a month
there is a musical and literary entertainment with refreshments and
dancing following.

And then comes the comment: "What beautiful useful work." And then the
question: "How can I help?"

And then the answer: "By buying Blindcraft brooms, furniture, or rugs,
at Blindcraft shop, 432 Sutter Street, and becoming a subscribing member
of the Association."

Would you sense the situation of the blind? Then shut your eyes for one
scant minute and, seeing nothing, feeling your previous treasure gone,
think of your joy at winning independence through gainful occupation,
the occupation that relieves friend and family and the community of a
burden, the occupation that will maintain you. Then, in this mood, open
your eyes in a grateful flood of light and pay your tribute to the
Blindcraft men and women who have given such a splendid impulse to home
industry, the heroes and heroines of a peaceful conquest.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Andrew S. Rowan, Honorary President
Mrs. Ralph C. Harrison, Honorary Vice-President
Mrs. George J. Bucknall, Honorary Second Vice-President
Mrs. Wm. Mitchell Bunker, President
Mrs. Wm. S. Breeze, First Vice-President
Mrs. Charles H. Crocker, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Edith Lindow, Treasurer
Miss Harriet Pomeroy, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. J. Mack, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Rhoda Niebling, Librarian
Mrs. Ruth Quinan Marks, Superintendent

DIRECTORS

Mrs. J. Dennis Arnold
Mrs. George E. Billings
Mrs. Gale H. Carter
Miss Gertrude Comfort
Mrs. Charles H. Crocker
Mrs. J. J. Mack
Mrs. George W. Towle
Mrs. Harry J. Douglas
Mrs. J. N. Laurvik
Mrs. Frank P. Deering
Mrs. George W. Caswell
Mrs. E. J. Pringle
Mrs. Herbert Clayburgh
Mrs. Jos. A. Donohoe

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Andrew S. Rowan, Honorary President
Mrs. Ralph C. Harrison, Honorary Vice-President
Mrs. George J. Bucknall, Honorary Second Vice-President
Mrs. Wm. Mitchell Bunker, President
Mrs. Myer Friedman, First Vice-President
Mrs. Charles H. Crocker, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Edith Lindow, Treasurer
Mrs. Herbert Clayburgh, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. J. Mack, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Ruth Quinan Marks, Superintendent

 

DIRECTORS

Mrs. J. Dennis Arnold
Mrs. Dean Avery
Mrs. George E. Billings
Mrs. George W. Caswell
Mrs. Herbert Clayburgh
Mrs. Frank P. Deering
Mrs. Joseph A. Donohoe
Mrs. Harry James Douglas
Mrs. John Dennis
Mrs. Charles H. Crocker
Mrs. J. J. Mack
Mrs. Charles J. Okell
Mrs. William Fries
Mrs. Edith Lindow


55. SAN FRANCISCO COLONY OF NEW ENGLAND WOMEN

Mrs. Wesley T. Gorham, President
Organized 1905
Federated 1916
Meets second Fridays

The San Francisco Colony of New england Women was organized, not as a civic club, but to promote social and intellectual intercourse among its members, and to assist women who were born and brought up in New England, or who are descended from New Englanders.

Gradually we have become greatly interested in civics, philanthropy and economics. Many of our members are active in the various civic clubs.

Our committee of five was appointed to visit the courts upon the examination of applicants for citizenship, for the purpose of encouragement, and also to further the work of Americanization among the wives of the applicants.

We have a representative to each of the nine departments, and the interesting reports from the child welfare and literature departments are to be specially mentioned.

The president of the unit of Needlework Guild was successful in collecting many more than the required quota of new garments.

Our philanthropic committee reported a larger donation of clothing,
books, toys and money than in previous years, and this was contributed
to the Goodfellow fund for the children of the needy poor in this city.

Our Thrift unit is still in existence. As New England women, we have
ever been mindful of the importance of saving in our daily lives, and
find it no harder to practice it today than in past years.

At both the Federation Fete and Granville Barker Tea, we had representation.

Our work along educational lines has been the contribution toward the
Alice Fredericks Memorial fund, and we have been able to double our amount.

Like the other clubs, we have made efforts to increase our membership
and have been successful in adding many new names to our roster.

The delegates to the convention have returned wonderful reports to our meetings.

We have presented programs full of unusual interest, varying in scope
from readings, dancing, vocal and instrumental music, lectures and
addresses on the Serbians, on Americanization, on history and landmarks.

Our dearly loved president of the City Federation brought to us a most
wonderful message that will remain long in our memories.

We have endeavored to make much of the social side of our club life and
our hour over the teacups has been a great factor in promoting
friendliness and comradeship.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. M. A. Buchan, President
Mrs. S. C. Gorham, First Vice-President
Mrs. F. E. Bowley, Second Vice-President
Mrs. W. T. Gorham, Recording Secretary
Mrs. M. J. Lidstone, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Lionel Shaw, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. S. C. Gorham, President
Mrs. Frank A. Gilley, First Vice-President
Mrs. Clara S. Brown, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Henry C. Bunker, Recording Secretary
Miss Lucy M. Vining, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. I. A. Merrell, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. I. W. Buchan
Mrs. C. S. Wade
Mrs. H. T. Holdstein
Mrs. W. C. Price
Mrs. G. E. Souper

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Wesley T. Gorham, President
Mrs. Frank A. Gilley, First Vice-President
Mrs. Alice Price, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Frank Payne, Recording Secretary
Miss Lucy M. Vining, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. H. T. Holdstein, Treasurer
Mrs. Sara C. Gorham, Registrar
Mrs. E. B. Burr, Historian

DIRECTORS

Mrs. David Louderbach
Mrs. John Lewis
Mrs. John Wills
Mrs. Richard Sarl
Mrs. E. B. Wheeler


56. SAN FRANCISCO GIRLS' WELFARE HOME

Mrs. John L. McGinn, President
Home located at 1657 Hayes Street
Organized 1914
Federated 1917
Meets every second Monday

The San Francisco Girls' Welfare Home is non-sectarian and provides room and board for self-respecting girls and women. It provides free shelter and food and medical treatment for girls and secures employment for them. Also gives free legal advice, hospital care, and gives the unlifting home influence. The girls who are low salaried can secure room and board for $3.00 per week. Those who have no money are cared for until they can better themselves.

The Home is supported by voluntary contributions from the public and from its members, who number ninety-four. The membership fee is twelve dollars per year and five dollars for working members.

The Home has been completely furnished and we invite inspection at any time.

A piano or a victrola would give much cheer and comfort to the girls who live with us. Perhaps some member of the Federation has one that she would gladly have used, either temporarily or permanently.

We can accommodate seventeen persons at one time. The books are audited yearly. This organization is endorsed by the Charities Endorsement Committee of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce.

In 1918 we gave shelter and served meals to 360 girls and women. Also gave clinical aid to twenty-four.

In 1919 we served 15,900 meals at the Home and gave shelter to 390. Gave clinical aid to thirty-six.

In 1918 we had an average of five convalescents; in 1919, an average of seven per month.

Mrs. H. H. Somers, working as captain of a team in the recent Salvation
Army drive for funds, most of which is to be used in establishing a home
for working girls, collected $339.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. John L. McGinn, President
Mrs. H. H. Somers, Treasurer
Mrs. G. C. Alfrez, Financial Secretary
Mrs. John P. Zipf, First Vice-President
Mrs. Webster Welbank, Second Vice-President
Mrs. M. E. Lewton, Recording Secretary
Miss Ruby Finn, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Fidelia Jewett, Offical Representative


57. SAN FRANCISCO GRADE TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION

Miss Edna Cotrel, President
Miss Mary Mooney, Federation Representative
Organized 1917
Federated 1919

The San Francisco Grade Teachers' Association represents an effort on the part of the classroom teachers of San Francisco to provide an organization which may study their problems and speak with authority for them.

That such an association answers a need is shown by its growth. Formed May, 1917, in three years the membership has reached beyond eight hundred.

Through affiliation with the National League of Teachers' Associations,
the organization meets and cooperates with similar groups of classroom
teachers in the National Education Association and in the California
Teachers' Association.

The general executive body of the Association is the Central Committee,
which meets the first Monday not a school holiday of each calendar
month. Special activities are carried on through sections or committees.
A monthly bulletin is issued to advise the members of the various
activities and the time of meetings. Committee and most section meetings
are held in the Association headquarters at 333 Kearny Street. This room
is a gift from Mr. Raphael Weill.

The following sections are now active: Kindergarten and First Grade
Section, Second and Third Grade Section, Fourth Grade Section, Fifth and
Sixth Grade Section. Seventh and Eighth Grade Round Table, Bird Section,
and Swimming Section.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Edna Cotrel, President
Miss Louisa McDermott, Vice-President
Miss Marie Oliver, Vice-President
Miss Nora Hussey, Vice-President
Miss Kathryn Cooney, Recording Secretary
Miss Thrysa Walters, Membership Secretary
Miss Anna M. Onyon, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Emma L. Dacre, President
Miss Kathryn Cooney, First Vice-President
Miss Martha Grant, Second Vice-President
Miss Hilda Baily, Third Vice-President
Miss Dorothy Farrell, Recording Secretary
Miss Mary Mooney, Membership Secretary
Miss Anna Onyon, Treasurer


58. SAN FRANCISCO LEAGUE FOR THE HARD OF HEARING

Mrs. John E. D. Trask, President
Organized 1916
Federated 1920

The San Francisco League for the Hard of Hearing is an organization interested in solving the problems of the adult deaf. Knowing of the great success and beneficial activities of such an institution in New York, Mrs. Trask, the president of the San Francisco League, with the help of fellow-hard-of-hearing teachers, organized the League in 1916.

The principal aims of the League are to help the deafened in the matter of procuring employment; to render aid and sympathy in times of misfortune; to alleviate their social isolation and to provide lessons in lip reading.

With these objects in view the League has a club room at 406 Geary Street, where are held class meetings, and various social activities, all of which have done much toward giving the deafened a normal cheerful outlook.

In the matter of helping the deafened to procure work, the League has interested many firms and convinced them of the desirability of employing the hard of hearing because of their unusual conscientious performance of their work and power of concentration.

To overcome the morbid sensitiveness of the deaf, entertainments, moving
pictures, a study club and classes for lip reading practice and various
social meetings have had very happy results. The hard of hearing are
thrown in contact with each other and with normal hearing people. All these functions have been wonderfully successful in bringing happiness and hopefulness into discouraged lives.

The League now enrolls 125 members, each year showing a decided growth.

The League's membership includes not only the hard of hearing, but many
normal hearing persons who are interested in the work for the deafened.

The work for the years 1918 and 1919 includes the League's Auxiliary of
the American Red Cross, which made surgical dressings, outfits for
Belgian babies, and French orphans, besides knitting at home, and took
part in the second war drive and the Christmas roll call.

Each summer the League holds two picnics, going by motor or boat to some
pleasure park for lunch and a day's outing. Every month there is a party
to celebrate the birthdays of members and an evening at a motion picture
play.

Every Tuesday morning and Friday evening throughout the year the League
conducts a class for practice in lip-reading, which has an average
attendance of twenty. Two hundred and eighty-one private lessons have
also been given. On Wednesday afternoons many members attend the study
club, when an hour is devoted to the study of interesting subjects,
followed by a social hour, tea being served.

The League has a Consulting Board of Otologists, who examine and advise
any members who so desire. Dr. Harrington B. Graham is in charge of this
branch of the work.

The League is associated with the San Francisco Social Service Exchange,
the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce, and the American Association for
the Hard of Hearing.

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. John E. D. Trask, President
Harrington B. Graham, M. D., Vice-President
Mrs. Charles C. McNeill, Recording Secretary
Miss Heloise M. Thibault, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Alfred Newman, Treasurer


59. SAN FRANCISCO MUSICAL CLUB

Mrs. E. E. Bruner, President
Organized 1890
Federated 1916
Meets first and third Thursdays

In presenting the following resume, I feel that the San Francisco Musical Club has accomplished much this past year in the way of bringing before the public our resident artists and their work.

To Mrs. Josephine Crew Aylwin and her efficient program committee belongs the credit for some of the finest programs the Club has ever presented - both from an educational and entertaining standpoint.

Noticeable among these were: "An American Morning," beginning with the earliest music obtainable and through the different periods to the more modern of the present day compositions.

Early in December of 1919 an original comic opera, with lyrics by Miss Marion Cumming and music by Mrs. Aylwin (both ladies being active members), was produced at Scottish Rite Hall before a splendid audience.
The event was quite out of the ordinary and highly successful, club members filling the parts, assisted by prominent men singers of the community.

The Christmas program was devoted to oratorio in keeping with the season. Holy Thursday happening to fall on a regular club day, was made memorable by the rendition of the beautiful "Messe Solonelle" by Paladilhe - by solo, quartet and chorus.

Seventeen programs will have been given by the close of the season,
exclusive of the Jinks which took place April 29th, consisting of
Tableaux Chantants, followed by original stunts by members.

On April 15th we were honored by a visit from Mrs. Frank A. Seiberling,
national president of the Federation of Music Clubs, and our state
president, Mrs. Cecil Frankel. Mrs. Seiberling's vital address to us
created a splendid impression and was thoroughly enjoyed.

Although the war has ceased, the Club has still continued its auxiliary
work under the direction of Mrs. G. G. Dreyfus, who has presented
splendid programs at the different military camps adjacent to San
Francisco.

We have accepted about forty new members; have added some necessary
amendments to the constitution and the Club at large will next month
vote on the question of raising the dues, which seems unavoidable in
order to meet the advance in all our expenses.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Miss Adeline Maude Wellendorff, President
Miss May W. Shannon, First Vice-President
Mrs. Charles S. Ayres, Second Vice-President
Mrs. F. G. Canney, Corresponding Secretary
Miss Sarah A. Wafer, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Frank J. Cooper, Treasurer
Mrs. J. T. Rowe, Business Secretary
Mrs. E. E. Bruner, Librarian

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS 1918-1919

Mrs. J. E. Birmingham
Mrs. Louis C. Mullgardt
Miss Christine Hart

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Edward Everett Bruner, President
Mrs. Horatio Stoll, First Vice-President
Mrs. R. N. Aylwin, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Benjamin Apple, Business Secretary
Mrs. F. T. Canney, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. J. E. Birmingham, Recording Secretary
Miss Sarah B. Collier, Treasurer
Miss Elise Young, Librarian

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS 1919-1920

Mrs. Martin Molony
Mrs. Raymond Benjamin
Miss Christine Hart

HONORARY MEMBERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Marriner Campbell
Mrs. Mathilde Wismer

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Edward Everett Bruner, President
Mrs. Horatio Stoll, First Vice-President
Mrs. Sophia Newstadt, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Benjamin Apple, Business Secretary
Mrs. Martin Molony, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. F. H. Porter, Recording Secretary
Miss Sarah B. Collier, Treasurer
Miss Marion de Guerre, Librarian

ASSOCIATE DIRECTORS 1920-1921

Mrs. Raymond Benjamin
Mrs. Perham Nahl
Mrs. Frank H. Dunne


Transcribed by Elaine Sturdevant

HOME I PREVIOUS I NEXT

Page last updated July 26, 2002

Report any problems with the webpage to:
Graphics and Web design by Cyd Rawls