30. GOLDEN GATE BRANCH OF THE INTERNATIONAL SUNSHINE SOCIETY

Mrs. Fred C. Bennett, President
Organized 1920
Federated 1920

Golden Gate Branch of the I. S. S. Society was organized for
philanthropic and civic work; to incite its members to kind and helpful
deeds, and to thus bring the sunshine of happiness into the greatest
possible number of hearts and homes; to cooperate in civic work. The
dues are paid by some act which will carry sunshine where it is needed.

The principal work of the Branch is local. Suggestions for good cheer in
the International Sunshine Bulletin, published in New York, are very
interesting and is part of our work in a general way. When there is a
need for certain articles of clothing for the blind babies, it is
published in the Bulletin.

The Institute and Rest Home for blind babies was founded by the
International Sunshine Society in New York by Mrs. Cynthia Westover
Alde, who organized the International Sunshine Society in 1896 - Inc.
1900, and is supported by the various Branches and bequests. The "Homes"
are open to any blind baby.

Reports of our work tells of auto rides for old ladies; books, magazines
and flowers to the shut-ins and the soldiers with disabled limbs.

Our Sunshine offering to the blind babies of the Institute this month
will be hot water bottle covers, bibs made of guest towels, buttons for
underwear.

One of our local good cheer acts will be to make and give to needy
mothers layettes and warm clothing for needy blind children. Also to
have ready layettes to loan out to mothers who have made no provision
for baby. Reading to the blind is also reported.

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. F. C. Bennett, President
Mrs. Sophie Lilienthal, Chairman of Executive Committee
Mrs. Alfred C. Scales, Secretary and Assistant Treasurer
Miss Thirmuthis Brookman, Executive Secretary


31. HOUSE OF FRIENDSHIP

Miss Thirmuthis Brookman, Federation Representative
Federated 1920

The House of Friendship is a downtown emergency club open twenty-four
hours a day to any girl in distress. By its lack of publicity it reaches
girls who could not otherwise be helped. We welcome any girl who wishes
to make good. Its informal healthy home life makes a strong appeal to
character.

It is entirely dependent upon the generosity of friends for its support.

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Sophie Lilienthal, Chairman of Executive Committee
Mrs. Alfred C. Scales, Secretary and Assistant Treasurer
Miss Thirmuthis Brookman, Executive Secretary


32. HYPATIA CLUB
Mrs. Stephen Cleary, President

Organized 1907
City Federation 1916
Meets second and fourth Tuesdays

Hypatia Club, with a limited membership of twenty-five, was organized
for mutual study and entertainment, but as years passed, it has
broadened its scope, until now it not only embraces sections of Art,
Music and Drama; but has gradually added Educational, Civic,
Philanthropic, Child Welfare and Americanization departments.

The war called for activities to which we responded most willingly; and
it was then that we realized our strength and were encouraged to
collaborate with the larger clubs and larger activities. The members
devoting their time, money and service to patriotic war work, knitting
sweaters, socks and helmets, making loving robes for convalescent boys
at the Letterman Hospital, sewing for army doctors and nurses, Belgian
women and children; mending and repairing uniforms, sending homemade
jelly to the Letterman Hospital; presenting musical programs and
entertainment at the Presidio and Marine Hospital; giving a dance for
the boys in the name of Hypatia Club at the St. Francis Hotel; taking
them on automobile trips, home dinners and luncheons on an average of
fifteen boys to each member of the Club; contributing $25 to the Red
Cross and $20 toward a home in France for American soldiers, and $300 by
individual members to the Red Cross, one member donating $20 to the N.
D. G. W. Red Cross Ambulance Fund; assisting in the drives for Liberty
bonds and War Saving Stamps; medical aid and nursing during influenza
epidemic; acting hostess at the Defenders' Club.

When the war work ceased the philanthropic activities were continued by
the individual members for the needy at home, $250 being donated to
private charities in addition to medical and surgical aid, nursing,
clothing, provisions and coal. One charity ward in the Children's
Hospital was given pencils, tablets, books, pictures, candy and fruit;
flowers given every week for two years to the sick; stamps purchased for
the San Francisco Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis; a
family of nine outfitted with clothes; a dependent blind woman taken
care of; Christmas dinners, toys, games and candies; money to Serbian
and Armenian drives; clothes to Salvation Army drive.

The club donated $5.00 to the maintenance of the Palace of Fine Arts and
the Chairman of the Art Section gave an interesting and valuable
collection to the Golden Gate Park museum, consisting of a collection of
agate, minerals, crystal rock and shells, a Chinese golden lacquer
work-box, a Russian lapis lazuli jewel box, an old English cup and
saucer and three plates, a silver snuffer and tray, an old brass snuffer
and tray and a taper holder from Holland, a Roman cameo, a silver vase
and an amber cut glass vase from Prague, a rose point lace handkerchief
and three antique rose point fans.

An effort is made to cooperate in all matters with the City and State
Federations; even to social life, as partaking in the City Federation
Fete and having a table at the various teas and luncheons.

FOUNDER

Mrs. Rose Stratton

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. William Grandeman, President
Mrs. J. A. Fortune, Vice-President
Mrs. Stephen Cleary, Second Vice-President
Mrs. C. W. Metcalfe, Secretary
Mrs. H. M. Welcome, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Stephen Cleary, President
Mrs. J. S. Chrissman, Vice-President
Mrs. C. W. Metcalf, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Walter Wilkie, Secretary
Mrs. H. M. Welcome, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. Clara Metcalfe, President
Mrs. Emma M. Burke, First Vice-President
Mrs. Walter Wilkie, Second Vice-President
Mrs. A. S. Lamond, Treasurer


33. IDEAL SCHOOL WOMEN'S CLUB

Miss Mabel S. Hall, President
Organized 1914
Federated 1916
Meets four times a year

The Ideal Club is an association of school women, formed to promote the
educational and social interests of its members. The meetings are held
four times a year, in the week preceding each school vacation. The
activities of the Club have been along educational and legislative
lines, the object being to keep informed on current topics, especially
those relating to the life and progress of the teacher, with a view to
broadening her outlook in that direction.

The Club is also interested in various branches of social service,
notably the Travellers' Aid, and contributes annually toward their
expenses.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Miss Mabel S. Hall, President
Mrs. M. Sullivan, Vice-President
Miss Lillian O'Connor, Secretary-Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Mabel S. Hall, President
Mrs. C. M. Hawthorne, Vice-President
Miss Emily W. Grant, Secretary-Treasurer


34. JUVENILE PROTECTIVE ASSOCIATION

Miss Julia George, President
Organized 1909
Federated 1916

Under the presidency of Mrs. Mary Fitz-Gerald the special work during
1918-1919 was with the Children's Year Committee of the State of
California, which asked the Juvenile Protective Association to carry out
Part "3" of the Children's Year program. This covered the two very
important topics: "Child Labor" and "Education." As a result, Bulletin
No. 2. compiled by Mrs. Bert Schlesinger and Mrs. William Hyman was
issued and ten thousand copies were circulated by the Children's Year
Committee. So helpful and suggestive did it prove that requests for
copies came from universities, schools, libraries and other
organizations all over the United States.

As part of the year's work, the Juvenile Protective Association in
conjunction with the State Board of Education, the Bureau of Labor
Statistics, the State Federation of Labor, the Northern California
Branch of the National Child Labor Committee, and other interested
groups re-drafted the Child Labor Law. Coincident with our tenth
anniversary, May 10, 1919, Governor Stephens signed the Child Labor Bill
and also the amendments to the Compulsory School Law. It is a vital step
forward in the matter of efficiency that these laws definitely place the
responsibility for working permits for children of school age under the
jurisdiction of the educational authorities of the State. It covers the
conditions under which children labor, the hours and the places they may
labor, and the kinds of labor in which they may engage. The Juvenile
Protective Association is exceedingly happy that its labors in behalf of
children have had such successful results.

Through the cooperation of the Board of Education a census of public
school children who work, was taken with amazing results. Child Labor in
San Francisco is a detrimental factor needing most serious
consideration. Many of the children enumerated work in direct violation
of the law before and after school hours and on Saturdays and Sundays.
The statistics are on file in the office of the Juvenile Protective
Association, 1022 Phelan Building, and are open to inspection.

A scholarship of $100 was donated to the Association to enable a young
girl to finish grammar school and to graduate from one of the business
colleges of this city.

One hundred ten cases and complaints have been reported to the office
during the year. We strive not to duplicate the work of any other local
organization, therefore many of these complaints and cases have been
referred to the authorities or agencies to which they belonged. The
others have been adjusted by our volunteer workers through employment
secured, environment changed, detrimental conditions removed, and where
necessary, the general rehabilitation of the family.

1919-1920. In consequence of a prolonged absence in the east, and newly
elected president, Mrs. Armstrong Taylor, resigned in October, and Miss
Julia George was appointed to fill the vacancy.

There must be a more appreciative and better informed public opinion
concerning that wastage of human life, the juvenile delinquent. The
child that is busy at school, and in his free hours has good clean fun,
work and good reading, does not have much time nor inclination to get
into trouble. Public opinion ought to support the enforcement of the
Curfew Law and realize that children under sixteen ought not to be alone
on the streets after 8:00 p.m. in summer and 9:00 p.m. in winter, nor at
moving pictures, lingering around the entrance of such theaters.
Indecent literature and picture postcards are an influence and a menace
to every child. Crimes against children are too lightly considered and
legislation is needed to impose serious penalties. Many children are in
trouble owing to some misunderstanding in their sex life and because
knowledge that should be accurate, clean and spiritual about the
fundamental things in life was not given them in their homes. There is
the greatest need for such instruction to be given parents and this
association hopes to inaugurate such courses during the present year.

Our main effort is to reach the child before he comes to court, to
influence parents to raise the standard of the home, to better
conditions and in every way to use formative measures.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. M. M. Fitz-Gerald, President
Mrs. William L. Hyman, First Vice-President
Mrs. L. B. Hernon, Second Vice-President
Miss J. T. Malloy, Treasurer
Miss May F. Hallett, Secretary

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Julia George, President
Mrs. William L. Hyman, Firse Vice-President
Miss Nellie Sullivan, Second Vice-President
Miss Beatrice Murray, Treasurer
Miss May F. Hallett, Secretary


35. KATE KENNEDY SCHOOL WOMEN'S CLUB

Miss Genevieve Carroll, President
Organized 1910
Federated 1917

This Club takes its name from one of San Francisco's pioneer teachers,
Miss Kate Kennedy, who, many years ago, as principal of one of the
city's largest schools, started many boys and girls on paths of civic
consciousness and duty that have put them among our leading citizens. As
teachers, we especially delight to honor Miss Kennedy, for her bold and
untiring energy in face of heavy odds won for us a decision that had
much to do with placing school affairs on a firm basis.

The Club meets at stated intervals, at luncheon or at dinner, hearing on
such occasions the latest messages that can be given on the affairs of
the day, especially interesting itself in matters of a professional or a
civic nature, such as the state-wide campaign for Americanization, the
preservation of the California Missions and their history and
traditions, the proposed changes in Municipal and State School Law, the
Smith Towner Bill; and also we discuss measures brought by our members
from other organizations to which they belong.

The Kate Kennedy Club is affiliated with the California Federation of
School Women's Club and the City and County Federation of Women's Clubs
of San Francisco. Its routine business is conducted through an executive Board.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Miss Genevieve Carroll, President
Miss Louise F. Bray, Secretary
Kate F. Casey, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Genevieve Carroll, President
Miss Alice Rose Power, Vice-President
Miss L. F. Bray, Secretary
Miss K. F. Casey, Treasurer
Miss C. J. Forsberg, Assistant Treasurer


36. LADIES' AUXILIARY OF THE DAVID SCANNELL CLUB

Miss Elizabeth Butt, President
Organized 1917
Federated 1917
Meets first and third Wednesday evenings

The Ladies' Auxiliary of the David Scannell Club, although in its
infancy, has proven its worth to the Firemen and to the public in
general.

During the years 1917 and 1918 our members spared neither time nor
energy in the effort to make our Fire Department second to none in the
world. With our assistance the Firemen have achieved the Two Platoon
System, thus making home and working conditions more humane. This was
also a civic welfare victory, for it has made life and property safer
because of more efficient service. The Firemen have also gained a slight
increase in pay to meet the much increased cost of living.

We had a committee of ten members at the sewing room of the Navy
Auxiliary of the Red Cross during the period of the war. We have bought
and sold Liberty Bonds, have participated in parades, and have provided
supper for the returned soldiers, and furnished hundreds of boxes of
lunches for the sailors on the great navy Day Reception at the Civic
Center.

Our members have given generously of james and jellies to the wounded
and sick at the Letterman Hospital. We have given entertainments, dances
and refreshments to soldiers and sailors, most of whom were strangers in
our city.

We find, at the end of the year, we are still prosperous and all members
happy to do their utmost at any time to help those who may be in need of
our assistance.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Annie Neylon, President
Mrs. J. Lewis, Vice-President
Mrs. Celia M. Sullivan. Recording Secretary
Mrs. Elizabeth Butt, Financial Secretary
Mrs. Georgia Wedemeyer, Treasurer
Mrs. Lottie Mathison, Marshal
Nrs. E. Fox, Sentinel
Mrs. Margaret Brazil, Organist

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Elizabeth Butt, President
Mrs. M. Conroy, Vice-President
Mrs. M. Brophy, Recording Secretary
Mrs. M. Horgan, Financial Secretary
Mrs. G. Wedemeyer, Treasurer
Mrs. F. Meyers, Marshal
Mrs. C. Sullivan, Sentinel
Mrs. M. Brazil, Organist

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Mamie Conroy, President
Mrs. Helen Brady, Vice-President
Mrs. Madaline Brophy, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Mary Horgan, Financial Secretary
Mrs. E. Lahusen, Treasurer
Mrs. F. Meyer, Marshal
Mrs. M. Brazil, Organist


37. LA MESA REDONDA CLUB

Miss Kathryn Croney, President
Organized 1910
Federated 1916
Meets first and third Fridays

La Mesa Redonda Club, now in the tenth year of its existence, offers the
following report:

While our members have enjoyed many social afternoons and good musical
programs, La Mesa Redonda takes great pride in the work of the Civic and
Philanthropic sections.

With a membership of ninety, we have worked together with one common
interest, the success and welfare of the club.

The chief aim of the President has been to bring the members more
closely together, united as one family, without cliques or factions.

The First Vice-President has filled the President's chair during the
year, the regularly elected President having resigned from that office.

The milk question was thoroughly discussed and prompt action taken.
Three members of La Mesa Redonda were appointed on Mayor Rolph's
committee to assist in the investigation and the final action in the matter.

Mrs. L. M. Culver, Chairman of the Women's Court Department, gave the
club a very interesting and instructive afternoon, telling the members
of the great good that has been accomplished by the social workers on
her committee.

One program was devoted to California History and Landmarks.

Most effective work has been done by the Thrift sections.

La Mesa Redonda was one of the twenty-eight clubs participating in the
Federation Fete at the Fairmont Hotel.

The Philanthropic section has distributed thirty-four layettes since
June, 1919, and is very proud of the fact that no applicant has been
refused. About one hundred and fifty other articles of clothing have
been distributed to the needy, and a bed, mattress and bedding as well.

One young women, just out of a hospital, was furnished with a complete
outfit of clothing.

This section provided, by request, two layettes for the quadruplets born
recently in the Salvation Army Home in Oakland.

Several boxes of dried fruits, nuts, candies and jellies were
distributed by this section at the holiday season.

La Mesa Redonda Club had the honor of having one of its members
appointed Chairman of Press and Publicity Committee for Baby Welfare Week.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. O. L. Sues, President
Miss Kathryn Croney, First Vice-President
Mrs. C. N. Taylor, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Leonard F. Leavy, Recording Secretary
Mrs. S. Maud Miller, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. John W. Howard, Financial Secretary
Mrs. Charles F. Johnson, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Miss Kathryn Croney, President
Mrs. Isabelle J. Porter, 1st Vice-President
Mrs. Bessie Dunbar Monroe, 2nd Vice-President
Mrs. H. Logan, Recording Secretary
Mrs. James Harlow Anderson, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Charles Salsbury, Financial Secretary
Mrs. Charles F. Johnson, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Miss Kathryn Croney, President
Mrs. Isabelle J. Porter, First Vice-President
Mrs. W. A. Granicher, Second Vice-President
Mrs. H. Logan, Recording Secretary
Mrs. James Harlow Anderson, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Charles Salsbury, Financial Secretary
Mrs. Charles F. Johnson, Treasurer


38. LAUREL HALL CLUB

Mrs. John Hammond Crabbe, President
Founded 1886
Federated 1916

Since the aim of the Laurel Hall Club is "the general culture of its
members by discussion of progressive topics of the day, educational,
social and moral; by lectures from able speakers and such other means as
the club may deem advisable," serious consideration and most careful
selection of programs have been made. No matter what the topic, an
authority upon that subject has been chosen.

Amongst eminent speakers, Laurel Hall has had Mr. and Mrs. John Kendrick
Bangs, Mr. Peter Clark MacFarlane, Dr. Henry Chung, Mrs. Anna L. Saylor
and Mrs. Elizabeth McManus. A concert by Miss Blanche Hamilton Fox, and
two dramatic readings by Miss Jean Campbell MacMillan were given.

Although not a civic club, Laurel Hall has not been remiss in civic
duties, and has sent representatives whenever called upon. Members have
served upon juries, and have been interested in the Naturalization Court
and in the Women's Court. We have had to Americanization programs, and
have gladly contributed to the Alice Fredericks Memorial Fund.

The club members have furnished several programs, one of the best being
their "Jury Experiences."

Laurel Hall realizes the great value of study sections, which develop
all into active members and make them feel their individual
responsibility to the club. Study sections also from (form) closer
friendships amongst members, and thus a stronger club spirit develops.

The sections of the past year have been a Current Topic section in
conjunction with the California Club, under the direction of Mr. Sidney
Coryn; a Poet's Corner, led by Mrs. G. W. Haight; and an Oral Expression
Class under the direction of Miss MacMillan of the University Extension
faculty. The Social Service section has contributed to the various
charities, both local and foreign.

The increase of membership has been 108 members, totalling 230.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Miss Jessica Lee Briggs, President
Mrs. Nathan H. Frank, First Vice-President
Mrs. W. G. Thompson, Second Vice-President
Mrs. A. P. De Bernardi, Recording Secretary
Miss Amelia Frapolli, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. G. E. Townsend, Business Secretary
Miss Margaret Mary Morgan, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. Virgilio Cheda
Mrs. J. H. Crabbe
Mrs. Emma Krebs
Miss Amelia Summerton

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. John Hammond Crabbe, President
Mrs. G. Chester Brown, First Vice-President
Mrs. John S. Gray, Second Vice-President
Mrs. George E. Carter, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. H. Williams, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. G. E. Townsend, Business Secretary
Miss Margaret Mary Morgan, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Miss Ann L. Featherstone
Mrs. Frank Panter
Mrs. Franis H. Porter
Mrs. C. Law

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. John Hammond Crabbe, President
Mrs. C. Law, First Vice-President
Mrs. John S. Gray, Second Vice-President
Mrs. H. E. Harris, Recording Secretary
Mrs. J. H. Williams, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. G. E. Townsend, Business Secretary
Mrs. George W. King, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. M. E. Davidson
Mrs. John C. Manning
Mrs. Francis H. Porter
Mrs. Thomas White


39. LEAGUE OF AMERICAN PEN WOMEN

Mrs. William Harold Wilson, President of the San Francisco Auxiliary,
and for six years the California Representative.

Organized 1917
Federated 1918

The League of American Pen Women was organized and incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia, with a charter membership of seventeen women, in the year 1897.

As a national organization of women engaged in literary and relational work, it has increased its realm of influence until today it includes on its membership roll prominent women from every State in the Union. The League has also distinguished representatives from foreign lands.

Immediately at the outbreak of the way, the League of American Pen Women offered its professional services to the Government. As an organization the League entered all branches of war relief work, taking an active part in Liberty Loan, War Savings Stamps, Thrift, Food Conservation and Red Cross campaigns.

Affiliated with the General Federation of Women's Clubs, and with the International Editorial Association, the League of American Pen Women's activity encompasses a wide field of intellectual achievement.

 

 

SAN FRANCISCO AUXILIARY

Each state has an Auxiliary to the National League of American Pen Women.

The San Francisco Auxiliary has been actively identified with the San
Francisco City and County Federation of Women's Clubs for the past four years.

Annie Laurie is an honorary member of the League of American Pen Women,
having been elected to the position at Washington, D.C., where she was
visiting and at a time when she was asked to address the national organization.

Ina Coolbrith, California poet, is an honorary member.

Mrs. E. M. North-Whitcomb is an honorary member, having also been
elected to the position by the National organization.

Mrs. Nellie Blessing Eyster, is president Emeritus of the San Francisco
Auxiliary, League of American Pen Women. Mrs. Eyster founded the San
Francisco Auxiliary and at that time Mrs. Josephine Wilson was elected the president.

Mrs. Abbie Krebs Wilkins, newspaper and magazine contributor, who has
just finished a new book, has been the president of the San Francisco
Auxiliary for the past year, May, 1919 to May, 1920.

Josephine Wilson was for six years the California representative, League
of American Pen Women.

Mrs. Abbie Krebs Wilkins is at present the California representative,
having been appointed upon request from the San Francisco members.

At the opening meeting of the League of American Pen Women, in
September, an anniversary luncheon will be given at the Fairmont Hotel,
the plan being to make this luncheon something superlatively fine.

A statue of Pegasus, made by the artist, Mrs. Reggie Smith, will be
dedicated at the luncheon. Mrs. Smith's work ranks high in the
estimation of other sculptors, art critics and literary judges.

Membership enrollment in the League is open to those who wish to qualify.

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. William Harold Wilson, Club Editor San Francisco Examiner,
contributor "California Life" and eastern magazines, President

Mrs. Ida may Davis, newspaper writer, vice-President
Mrs. Abbie Krebs Wilkins, writer, Treasurer
Mrs. Mary Lewis Haines, author, newspaper contributor, Corresponding
Secretary
Mrs. L. A. Pfeiffer, writer, Assistant Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Olive Hulse, Recording Secretary
Mrs. I. Lowenberg, author, Historian
Mrs. E. M. North-Whitcomb, Librarian
Mrs. Ella M. Sexton, Auditor

DIRECTORS

The entire Board


Transcribed by Elaine Sturdevant

HOME I PREVIOUS I NEXT

Page last updated July 13, 2002

Report any problems with the webpage to:
Graphics and Web design by Cyd Rawls