20. DOLORES MOTHERS' CLUB

Mrs. Sara Simons, President
Organized 1898
Federated 1917

Since the issue of the Federation's last Year Book, our work has been rich in accomplishment. Our annual work for the Children's Hospital has been completed, and the package dispatched with an Easter greeting to the dear little inmates.

Besides this, we have assisted in making the costumes for the various plays given by the Girls' Club, of which we are a branch.

The first Thursday of each month we have a program of music and singing or a talk followed by a social. On the second and fourth Thursdays we sew for a couple of hours and conclude with a discussion of current topics.

Our whist parties have been a success both financially and socially.

A very special privilege this year, as well as a joy, was in the helping to make the furnishings for the Country Home, "Wonder Hill," the generous gift of Mrs. and Mrs. Mortimer Fleishhacker.

We are affiliated with the Recreation League and attend their luncheons.

We greatly enjoyed our participation in the City Federation Fete and its conventions given during the past year.

We feel that it is the wonderful cooperation between the girls of the Girls' Club and the mothers of our two Mothers' Clubs, that altogether-spirit, that has helped to make our club what it is.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. Sara Simons, President
Mrs. Temps, Vice-President
Mrs. Minnie C. Young, Secretary
Mrs. Sheldon, Treasurer

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Sara Simons, President
Mrs. Polachec, Vice-President
Mrs. Minnie C. Young, Secretary
Mrs. Ehrborn, Treasurer


21. EDGEWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD CLUB

Mrs. Harvey C. Peters,* President
Organized 1917
Federated 1918

The Edgewood Neighborhood Club, although originally organized for the
purpose of social and musical intercourse amongst the residents of
Edgewood and Belmont Avenues and Farnsworth lane, gradually extended its
activities to include philanthropic work and applied art, also
educational work, comprising readings and discussions among members of
current topics of civic, state and national import.

Our club maintained a booth at the Grape Festival in Kentfield last
October, for the benefit of the Presbyterian Orphanage in Marin County,
a large sum being realized from the sale of articles made by the
members, including fancy work, cakes, jellies, and pine baskets.

At the City Federation Fete at the Fairmont in November, we also had an
exhibition of work of members, composed of examples of rug weaving,
artistic basketry, color harmony, and batik work in an attractively
fitted up booth, decorated in original style by our members.

We have devoted much time and effort to philanthropic work, sending over
100 baby garments to the California Hospital Clinic for expectant
mothers, and have given food and funds to the Salvation Army.

We have given several social affairs, including luncheons, theater
parties and picnics.

Our meetings are held at members' homes, after club business is
transacted members occupy themselves during the afternoon with sewing
baskets. The Music Committee provides a program of music by members,
occasionally outside artists favoring us.

In December we entertained the presidents of several of the Federated
Clubs, on which occasion we enjoyed some interesting talks by these presidents.

OFFICERS 1918-1920

Mrs. Harry C. Peters, President
Mrs. William O. Patch, Vice-President
Mrs. Charles H. Upton, Secretary
Mrs. Robert C. Owens, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. George L. Stewart
Mrs. Emil Hogberg
Mrs. Peter J. Morck

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. C. H. Upton, President
Mrs. G. Stewart, Vice-President
Mrs. W. Patch, Secretary
Mrs. R. Owen, Treasurer

* Deceased May, 1920


22. EMANU-EL SISTERHOOD

Mrs. A. L. Lengfeld, President
Organized 1894
Federated 1919
Meets first Wednesdays

Over twenty-five years ago the Emanu-El Sisterhood for Personal Service
came into existence. During the succeeding years the society followed a
gradual development, until today its principal service consists in the
maintaining of a Sisterhood House, in which Jewish working girls may
obtain, at a nominal cost, board and lodging and the home environment so
desirable for the young girl about to start out to battle her way
through life. In addition to the resident feature we have afternoon
classes and clubs for the children and mothers of the neighborhood, and
evening trades classes as well as gymnasium, dramatic and social clubs
for the girls employed in the daytime, all of which are non-sectarian.

Any Jewish working girl or student of good character is welcome as a
resident in Sisterhood House. The weekly payments average from $5.00 up.
Self-government prevails.

Besides the house and annexes in San Francisco, we have a delightful
cottage in Larkspur, the gift of Mrs. Otto Irving Wise. Here, during the
summer months, the girls spend their vacations, the convalescents gain
strength and a number commute daily from San Francisco during the entire
season. The place is a lettle gem, set in the foothills of Mount
Tamalpais and a night spent out of doors on its spacious sleeping
porches fills one with energy to attack the problems of the coming day.

Would that we could say as much for our quarters in San Francisco. They
are indeed most inadequate for the thirty-two girls now with us. We are
constantly refusing housing room to most desirable applicants, for our
rooms are already much too crowded, not withstanding the two extra
houses we occupy across the street from the main building.

Every Friday evening we are "At Home" at 1057 Steiner Street. Concerts,
lectures and entertainments of high standard are held weekly, followed
by dancing, to which everyone is welcome, young and old, boys and girls,
men and women.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. A. L. Lendfeld, President
Mrs. M. C. Sloss, First Vice-President
Mrs. M. Esberg, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Jesse Steinhart, Third Vice-President
Mrs. H. U. Brandenstein, Recording Secretary
Mrs. A. L. Levi, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Joseph Ehrman, Treasurer
Mrs. I. S. Ackerman, Auditor

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. A. L. Lengfeld, President
Mrs. M. C. Sloss, First Vice-President
Mrs. M. Esberg, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Jesse Steinhart, Third Vice-President
Mrs. Herbert Clayburgh, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Charles Schlessinger, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. Albert Haber, Treasurer
Mrs. I. S. Ackerman, Auditor


23. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL ASSOCIATED CHARITIES OF SAN FRANCISCO

Miss Katherine Felton, Executive Secretary and Federation Representative
Federated 1919

The Associated Charities is the one general non-sectarian relief organization of San Francisco. It has been established for many years, and its work is well known in the poorer districts of the city and among those who come in contact with the sick and destitute - the hospitals, the board of health, the police department, etc. - so that hundreds of families in need are brought to its attention every year.

The society visits any urgent case of want or illness as soon as it is reported, and gives relief at once whenever anyone is found cold, hungry or ill. But the administering of immediate relief is only a small part of the task the society undertakes. What it is really trying to do in each case is to help some family which is in trouble to overcome its difficulties and, if possible, to establish itself on a basis of
independence.

Besides the extensive and complicated work of the administration of relief and general social service work, much of the energy of the Associated Charities is devoted to its children's work. In 1907 the society initiated the policy of boarding neglected and dependent children in foster homes, giving to each child not only the special care adapted to its needs, but above all the natural setting that is every little child's due - a home of which it is the center. Far out in the Mission, on the slopes of Twin Peaks, on sunny little streets on Bernal Heights, out near the ocean beach, these foster homes are found and here the foster mothers may be seen, radiating pride in the happy looking youngsters committed to their care. Many a sick and hopeless baby has found a haven in one of these homes, and been changed into a rosy cheeked merry little child. These foster mothers, caring for the little ones at a price that barely covers the food, are rendering to the city an inestimable service in the rearing of fine future citizens out of beginnings that augured only for hopeless future.

As a corrollary and completion to the foster home work, the Associated
Charities has this year instituted a new branch of work for the
children, by opening a Recreation House at 1948 Pacific Avenue. With
children who have so bad a start as many of those who come to the
Agency, extra care and special thought must be given in order that they
may "break even." The tender love of the foster mothers for the tiny
tots is sometimes subjected to a severe strain when these children reach
the trying age of adolescence. At this age a friend on the outside must
be found who will supplement with a certain spiritual influence the
physical care the child is receiving in the home. For this purpose, a
house on Pacific Avenue has been secured, charmingly furnished by
interested friends and equipped with a good library and here the
children come, in small groups and clubs. A close, confidential relation
has been established between the children and the director of the
Recreation House, whose work is made more valuable by her coming to know
well the foster mothers as well as the children.

There is a great deal of help that could be given to the Associated
Charities by the City Federation by means of volunteer service. Many of
the club women have already done numerous fine pieces of work in this
way, and through its membership in the City Federation the society hopes
that many more women may become interested to offer their cooperation.
The Associated Charities always keeps down its overhead expenses to the
lowest possible point, employing a staff that is constantly and
persistently overworked, so that volunteer workers are tremendously
needed and will be most heartily welcomed.

OFFICERS

Mr. Selah Chamberlain, President
Mr. S. I. Wormser, Vice-President
Mrs. Charles A. Murdock, Vice-President
Miss Anna Beaver, Secretary


24. FLORENCE CRITTENTON HOME

Mrs. Virginia M. Spinks, President
Organized 1889
federated 1917
Meets first Thursdays

The Florence Crittenton Home is endorsed by the State Board of Charities
and Corrections, and the Charities Endorsement Committee. It is a branch
of the National Florence Crittenton Mission, chartered by special act of
Congress, April 9, 1898, Mrs. Kate Walker Barrett, M. D., D. Sc.,
president. The national work consists of a chain of eighty-two homes,
endorsed by President Wilson, ex-President Roosevelt, ex-President Taft,
and other prominent men and women.

No mere statement or tabulation can possibly do justice to a work so
much of which is in the nature of spiritual uplift. The Home is what the
name implies - a home where a compassionate and kindly interest puts the
star of hope in a sky that was dark and hopeless to those who having
been either careless or betrayed are facing motherhood out of wedlock.
When other doors are closed to these "social outcasts" we receive them,
care for them, and restore them to themselves, to society and to God.

The large number of girls sheltered by the Home, the positive religious
influence with which they are surrounded while with us, their training
in domestic management, the great care taken to place them properly when
they leave, the testimony of the changed lives of former inmates, the
permanency of the results achieved and the economy with which the
affairs are administered, constitute a record which will be approved by
all who are acquainted with it.

To sustain this work, we are compelled to depend upon the gifts received
from the friends of humanity.

We have no endowment but faith in God and in those whose hearts He shall
open to the cry of our need.

It is desired that a large number of charitable people of our city and
state be associated with the Board of Managers in the partnership of
interest in our mission by becoming annual contributors to the support
of the work, by either money, food or clothes

Contributing membership is $1.00 yearly
Sustaining membership is $5.00 yearly
Life membership is $100.00 yearly

Accumulated wealth must some day be left, often by those with little
kin. To what nobler purpose can a part of it be devoted than in
providing an endowment for the Florence Crittenton Home? Think of this
when you are making your will.

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. Charles H. Spinks, President
Mrs. Mary T. Gamage, First Vice-President
Mrs. F. J. Mackenzie, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Louis Goldman, Third Vice-President
Mrs. Max Wolf, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Henry Dahl, Corresponding Secretary
Kenneth A. Millican, Treasurer (Anglo-California Trust Co.)
Mrs. F. Mandelbaum, Assistant Treasurer

 


25. FORUM CLUB OF CALIFORNIA

Mrs. E. G. Denniston, President
Organized 1895
Federated 1916
Meets second and fourth Wednesdays

During the past two years Forum Club has gradually resumed her former
manner of life, with programs and social days. Educational programs have
proved especially acceptable, the members showing interest in the larger
things of life, as presented by competent speakers. Of local interest,
was the presentation of the work of the Travelers' Aid Society, when we
were told not only of the care given young girls arriving in our city,
but of the many families who arrive here with little or no knowledge of
our language, little means in their possession, and no friends to help
them. These are temporarily assisted and are given a start in life in
the land of their adoption.

The year 1919 brought to the Club the serious question of the releasing
of our rooms or of securing a new home. Each suggested location was
carefully considered, and finally rooms at 126 Post Street were leased
for a term of years. After some time spent in preparation of the new
home, Forum moved and the almost universal exclamation upon entering is,
"oh, how homey it seems." This is the spirit which is binding the
members very closely together.

During the past few months, over sixty new members have been received
into the Club. An encouraging note is, that many of the new members are
young women, talented, and ready to take part in the club activities.

With the advent of the members already admitted, others being
considered, and the location of the new rooms, in the center of the
downtown district, where members may drop in to rest, to meet friends or
enjoy a cup of tea, the future of Forum Club looks bright.

The sad note of the past year has been the long illness and the death of
our treasurer, Mrs. Harry C. Peters. Mrs. Peters had entered upon her
duties with enthusiasm and a lively interest in all of the club
activities. Her ability, her fidelity and loving optimism endeared her
to all with whom she came in contact, and we feel her loss a great one,
not only to her immediate family, but to all those whose lives were
enriched by her ministrations.

OFFICERS 1918-1919

Mrs. A. W. Scott, President
Mrs. Henry Payot, First Vice-President
Mrs. Charles Wood, Second Vice-President
Mrs. M. F. Gabbs, Third Vice-President
Mrs. I. C. Schinkel, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. F. R. Orella, Recording Secretary
Mrs. C. F. Hutchinson, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. R. N. Carson
Mrs. E. Donovan
Mrs. John L. McNab
Mrs. Almeron Skinkle
Mrs. John W. Slaven
Mrs. C. L. Spader

OFFICERS 1919-1920

Mrs. E. G. Denniston, President
Mrs. William L. Hughson, First Vice-President
Mrs. Phillip Bekeart, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Henry C. Judson, Third Vice-President
Mrs. M. L. Stone, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. James Campbell, Recording Secretary
Mrs. Harry C. Peters, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. S. L. Braverman
Mrs. Fred B. Henderson
Mrs. John D. Jessup
Mrs. M. O'Brien
Mrs. Martin Regensburger
Mrs. John W. Slaven

OFFICERS 1920-1921

Mrs. E. G. Denniston, President
Mrs. D. C. Heger, Vice-President
Mrs. A. L. Hart, Second Vice-President
Mrs. J. W. Slaven, Third Vice-President
Mrs. S. L. Strickland, Recording Secretary
Mrs. M. H. Stone, Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. J. S. Reef, Treasurer

DIRECTORS

Mrs. Frank S. Brittain
Mrs. J. J. doyle
Mrs. Charles Goodall
Mrs. Francis V. Rose
Mrs. F. S. Samuels
Mrs. John A. Weston


26. GEORGE H. THOMAS CIRCLE NO. 32 LADIES OF THE GRAND ARMY OF THE
REPUBLIC

Mrs. Anna R. Luther, President
Organized 1903
Federated 1918
Meets first and third Tuesdays

The Ladies of the G. A. R. is composed of the mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, nieces and granddaughters of Veterans who served faithfully and honorably in the War of the Rebellion, none but blood relatives being eligible.

George H. Thomas Circle No. 32 was organized August, 1903. Meetings are held semi-monthly, which are well attended. Up to March, 1919, the Circle was very active in Red Cross work. When the war ended activities in that direction ceased. Members took part in the parade in honor of the 363rd and 347th Regiments' return last April, also participated in all patriotic parades when the Red Cross workers have been invited to join.

We attend G. A. R. funerals, also officiate at the funerals of deceased members, visit the sick, contribute relief; also make donations to Ladies of G. A. R. Cottages at Sawtelle, Cal. participated in exercises Memorial Day (May 30th) at Presidio; also assisted in making floral emblems. Appomattox Day, April 9th, was celebrated by giving a rousing Camp Fire, 200 being in attendance. Circle had a booth at Federation Fete last November, which contained many interesting and historic relics of the Civil War. Patriotic days are fittingly observed. Circle had Service Flag containing thirty-three stars, three gold and one silver, which was fittingly retired in January. Circle is in a growing and prosperous condition.

 

 

 

OFFICERS 1918

Mrs. Marion E. Kyle, President
Mary H. Terry, Senior Vice-President
Minnie L. Norgrove, Junior Vice-President
Miss Lucy M. Vining, Secretary
Mrs. Elizabeth Merrell, Treasurer
Mrs. Florence F. Long, Chaplain

OFFICERS 1919

Mrs. Minnie L. Norgrove, President
Mrs. Anna R. Luther, Senior Vice-President
Mrs. Jennie E. Miller, Junior Vice-President
Miss Lucy M. Vining, Secretary
Mrs. Elizabeth Merrell, Treasurer
Mrs. Florence F. Long, Chaplain
Mrs. Caroline Eisenhart, Conductor
Mrs. Mary E. Harrington, Asst. Conductor
Mrs. Etta Curle, Guard
Mrs. Anna R. Herrick, Assistant Guard
Mrs. Flora E. Bowley, Musician
Mrs. Lura A. Souper, Patriotic Instructor

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Anna R. Luther, President
Mrs. Jennie E. Miller, Senior Vice-President
Mrs. Lizzie Crooks, Junior vice-President
Miss Lucy M. Vining, Secretary
Mrs. Elizabeth Merrell, Treasurer
Mrs. Florence F. Long, Chaplain
Mrs. Caroline Eisenhart, Conductor
Mrs. Mary E. Harrington, Asst. Conductor
Mrs. Minnie McTaggart, Guard
Mrs. Anna R. Herrick, Assistant Guard
Mrs. Flora E. Bowley, Musician
Mrs. Lura A. Souper, Patriotic Instructor


27. GENERAL GEORGE G. MEADE CORPS NO. 61 WOMEN'S RELIEF CORPS

 

 

Miss Alma Jensen, President
Organized 1907
Federated 1918
Meets second and fourth Tuesdays

General George G. Meade Corps No. 61 was organized for the purpose of assisting and caring for the Union soldiers and their dependent ones. We send a yearly donation to our Woman's Relief Home at Evergreen near San Jose. We assist at the funerals of our deceased comrades by giving Flag Service. We do a great deal of patriotic work, visit schools on Washington and Lincoln's Birthdays and Flag Day; also Memorial Day; present Flags to Sunday schools where needed. We have always entertained the Army and Navy boys in great numbers by giving them house parties and dancing. Our meetings are held in Washington Hall, Civic Auditorium. Any loyal woman over sixteen is eligible to join our corps.

 

 

 

 

OFFICERS 1918

Mrs. Emma Horner, President
Roberta Hopkins, Senior Vice-President
Mabel Bannister, Junior Vice-President
Isabelle Kennett, Treasurer
Belle Reichenbach, Chaplain
Emma Frerichs, Conductor
Alice White, Assistant Conductor
Mary Oran, Assistant Guard
Etta Eggers, Secretary
Flora Bowley, Patriotic Instructor and Musician
Charlotte Wagner, Press Correspondent

OFFICERS 1919

Alma U. Jansen, President
Mabel Bannister, Senior Vice-President
Emma Frerichs, Junior Vice-President
Belle Reichenbach, Chaplain
Etta Eggers, Conductor
Lena Williams, Guard
Isabelle Kennett, Treasurer
May C. Peixotto, Secretary
Mary White, Assistant Guard
Mary Oran, Assistant Guard
Flora E. Bowley, Patriotic Instructor

OFFICERS 1920

Mabel Bannister, President
Belle Reichenbach, Senior Vice-President
Esther Nilsen, Junior Vice-President
Isabelle Kennett, Treasurer
Lena Williams, Guard
Flora E. V. Bowley, Patriotic Instructor
Charlotte Wagner, Press Correspondent
May C. Peixotto, Secretary
Emma Hoiner, Chaplain
Etta Eggers, Conductor
Emma Frerichs, Assistant Conductor
Olive Michelsen, Assistant Guard


28. THE GIRLS' CLUB

Miss Eva Wolfsohn, Federation Representative
Organized 1898
Federated 1917
Meets monthly

The Capp Street Girls' Club is a neighborhood house in the real sense of
the term. It has aimed solely from its inception, eighteen years ago, to
influence the lives and build the characters of young girls. In order to
be a genuine social center the Club must be a place for wholesome
recreation and amusement. Indeed it is the place for all the individual
and collective activities which attract young people, and, under right
conditions, profoundly influences them. Dancing, music, dramatics,
athletics and club relationships are the means, sometimes unconsciously,
of making the fine, efficient, sympathetic woman we are needing in the
world. The activities of the Girls' Club are many. We have classes in
dressmaking, domestic science, sewing, dancing, dramatics, art,
basketry, Sloyd, Red Cross aid work, etc. Our aim is to study the best
interests of children and young girls and then choose the best lines of
activity for them. The dramatic and music sections aim directly at a
general cultivation of taste. In the last five years dozens of plays
have been presented, each one demanding a little higher degree of skill
than the preceding. Out of a membership of over five hundred, two
hundred members of the Girls' Club are actively interested in music. Two
Wednesdays evenings of each month are given to recitals by professional
musicians who thus kindly contribute to the enjoyment of the music
pupils and the other Club members.

About fifty young women, mainly pioneer girls of the Girls' Club, many
having been members as long as eighteen years, are banded together as
the Rachel Wolfsohn Club, with Mrs. Minnie Levy as president.

We meet every Thursday afternoon for a social hour, and educational
advantages.

The first Thursday of each month is devoted to an interchange of ideas
between our Dolores Mothers' Club and ourselves, and we spend a pleasant
hour together discussing different problems over our coffee cups.

Our very efficient leader, Mrs. Henry Brandenstein, gives a resume of
current topics of the day, on the last Thursday of each month.

Our dramatic section has been most successful this year, with Mrs. Mabel
Gump of the Players' Club, as director. Each week a short one-act play
is read and discussed, and the rest of the afternoon devoted to the
rehearsal of a play in course of production.

Many of our members are busily engaged in sewing for our new country
home, "Wonderhill," a gift of Mrs. and Mrs. Mortimer Fleishhacker. It
nestles in the foothills of Redwood City, near Emerald Lake, on seven
acres of ground, and all are looking forward to an enjoyable summer.

OFFICERS 1920

Mrs. Jessie Lilienthal, President
Mrs. Leon Sloss, Secretary
Mrs. Mortimer Fleishhacker, Treasurer


29. GIRLS' FRIENDLY SOCIETY IN THE DIOCESE OF CALIFORNIA

Miss Kate C. Radford, President
Federated 1918

The Girls' Friendly Society is an organization of the Episcopal church,
founded on the idea of Christian Sisterhood; a vast society extending
over the whole world, within whose limits every member has a right to
look to every other member for kindness, sympathy and help, and binding
all together with cords of love. It is non-sectarian in its work, and
its keynote is personal service exemplified in its motto, "Bear ye one
another's burdens."

In the Diocese of California, it reported for 1919, ten branches,
composed of women as associates, and young girls as members, numbering
forty associates, who have a vote, and about two hundred girls who have
none. These branches are interested in, and work for, little girls from
five to twelve years, known as candidates; for Missions, maintaining a
$50-scholarship for one Igorot girl at school in the Philippines, where
one of the G. F. S. associates is a Deaconess teacher. They gave $15.oo
towards a T.B. bungalow belonging to the G. F. S. A. at Phoenix,
Arizona; $5.00 to St. Agnes School, Kyote; $60.00 to the Blind
Association in San Francisco, and $5.00 for work among the Mountain
Whites.

To the Red Cross they gave sixteen baby layettes complete, and a number
of hospital garments, as well as miscellaneous work.

In social service, they have cared for several needy families at
Christmas and Thanksgiving, befriended several girls, helping them over
times of great mental, moral and physical stress until they were on
their feet. They maintain a Lodge (i.e. a Boarding Home) in San
Francisco, for self-supporting girls, from sixteen to thirty years of
age, accommodating fifty-five girls at a charge of $4.50 to $6.00 per
week, this is for one, two and three in a room, two meals a day, three
on Sunday, and the privileges of comfortable living rooms and laundry as
well as the personal care and interest of a house-mother.

The Girls' Friendly Society has affiliated with the City Federation of
Women's Clubs, the Travellers' Aid, the Y. W. C. A. and all
organizations that stand for the general welfare of girls and women.

OFFICERS

Miss Kate C. Radford, President
Mrs. R. E. L. Jewitt, First Vice-President
Miss Katherine Wackler, Second Vice-President
Mrs. Thomas Bradbury, Third Vice-President
Miss Kathleen S. Trowbridge, Treasurer and Secretary


Transcribed by Elaine Sturdevant

HOME I PREVIOUS I NEXT

Page last updated July 13, 2002

Report any problems with the webpage to:
Graphics and Web design by Cyd Rawls